Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Enix
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

2.4GHZ and 5GHZ Bands BT Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

Just installed the Smart Hub 2 and accompanying dish that came with it today, and I've noticed that when viewing the 'My BT App' to see what devices are connected to which access point, i.e. the Hub or Dish, 1 phone that belongs to a family member (the same phone that I'm using) is showing as being connected to the 2.4GHZ band, whilst my phone (the same phone as his) is connected to the 5GHZ band, irrespective of which access point it's connected to.  Can anybody explain why this would happen?  

Also, his XBox One is connecting to the 2.4GHZ band and not the 5GHZ band.  Can anybody enlighten me as to why this is occurring?  I understand that the 5GHZ band provides a faster speed, so his phone and console would obviously benefit from using that band, but seems to be connecting to the 2.4GHZ band by default, at least according to the 'My BT App' information.  

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ Bands BT Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

The devices decide which band they connect to not the hub. They will connect to which signal they regard as being the strongest. As it is not possible to split the bands on the SH2, the only way to force one or the other  is to turn off one or the other either on your devices or the hub. 5GHz is faster but has a much shorter range than 2.4GHz. If you are connecting to the internet rather than to another device within your LAN, your broadband speed will be the slowest link in the chain in any case.

0 Ratings
Enix
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks for the explanation.  I do remember certain things about... certain things, but at my age every time I learn something another thing gets pushed out (my brain's reached it's threshold, I think).

The previous iteration of BT's hub did have the ability to split the bands, right?  I suppose for ease of use, as most people can't remember their phone numbers these days, having another thing to concern themselves over with regards to choosing a certain frequency for their device would just be superfluous.  Better to let the so-called 'smart device' choose for you, eh?  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

The devices would still choose anyway, but at least with different SSIDs you could manually change from one to the other. A very bad decision by BT to remove the ability to split the bands in my opinion.

0 Ratings