Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theviewer1985
Contributor
Message 71 of 886

Re: 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ Bands BT Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

I still cannot believe BT hasn't added this basic and essential functionality.

I swear its this stupid setup that is to blame for all my smart home woes. With items getting confused over network names. At best, it makes setting up a 2.4 accessory needlessly difficult. Just add the damn feature like every other router on planet earth god dammit!

On that note, I have a Netgear nighthawk 10 in the junk room for the last year (I am not using due to BT desperately making me use their shoddy router to analyse some faults) but in fairness, I was never a fan of that router either, it just didn't seem reliable and I kept finding bugs (for a £400 router that is inexcusable from Netgear). Does anyone have any recommendations for an amazing home router? Reliable... fast throughput (to handle a NAS) etc etc

Cheers

0 Ratings
makembill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 72 of 886

Go to solution

Thanks @firswood 

0 Ratings
B3NNYB0Y
Contributor
Message 73 of 886

Go to solution

I am now feeling the pain of the BT Smart Hub 2 not being to provide a split Wi-Fi signal. 😫

All I am looking to do is create the following example environment with the SH2:

2.4GHz = MYWIFI24
5.0GHz = MYWIFI50

Q. Please would someone from BT give a Technical reason why this is not possible on this specific router?
Q. How would having this feature cause ANY kind of issue for the BT WiFi Disc hardware?

I was advised to change my router about a year ago to SH2 because the previous Smart Hub router would not provide the full speeds of download. I am now forced to switch OFF the 5GHz band in order to access my 2.4GHz devices on my home network, but with the caveat that I am not able to use my full local Wi-Fi network AND download speed.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
fjwood69
Aspiring Contributor
Message 74 of 886

Go to solution

@theviewer1985 

Ubiquiti's UniFi Dream Machine

Ultimate flexibility, VLANs, Jumbo Frames (for your NAS), you name it (possible exception WiFi6?), it's there.. don't know why I didn't buy one of these ages ago...  All my IoT devices have zero issues running on SSIDs with both 2.4Ghz / 5Ghz radios enabled.. and the UI is to die for.  Had it up and running in 10 minutes.

0 Ratings
theviewer1985
Contributor
Message 75 of 886

Go to solution

@fjwood69 - I never heard of that before, and I was thinking "yeah yeah, but I bet its some industrial/corporate style machine with an ugly UI that makes it impossible to navigate at home" and then you said the UI is to die for.

So it peaked my interest, i am researching it now and I'll probably order one this afternoon.

Jumbo frames... is that the thing that makes NAS transfers fast? I always called it throughput but never really knew what I was talking about.

Presumably, you have a modem too... which one?

edit: Can you send me a link to the exact model you recommend? At first look, the model you mentioned seemed like a typical moden day router. But then i noticed it was the american store. So i switched to the europe store, and the same titled product looks more like a "switch" with loads of ethenet ports. Certainly not a home wifi router...

0 Ratings
fjwood69
Aspiring Contributor
Message 76 of 886

Go to solution

@theviewer1985  I still have my BT Home Hub passing the traffic through to the UDM... might buy the Business model and put it in Bridge mode now.. lots on eBay.  You can have a play with the UniFi controller software online.. a full demo controller at your disposal.

edit - This is what I have - https://eu.store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-routing-switching/products/unifi-dream-machine 

It is effectively the same as the UDM Pro but scaled proportionately for <100 clients.  But the underlying network operating system is the same, meaning the same flexibility, control, etc.  I ended up buying it on Amazon UK just b/c I needed it quickly (the next day) but obviously cheaper via their own store.  Best part is the bits are all interoperable.  Should you need APs, etc, they'll all work with the UDM.

0 Ratings
theviewer1985
Contributor
Message 77 of 886

Go to solution

@fjwood69 Buy the business model of the BT Home hub you mean? Which has bridge functionality?

Also, this is the model you have right: https://eu.store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-routing-switching/products/unifi-dream-machine

0 Ratings
fjwood69
Aspiring Contributor
Message 78 of 886

Go to solution

@theviewer1985  - I believe it's called BT Business Smart Hub and there are instructions on the BT site here on how to enable Bridge Mode (i.e. make it only a modem and having your own router effectively sitting on the internet).

0 Ratings
B3NNYB0Y
Contributor
Message 79 of 886

Go to solution
The only problem I have is connecting with the 2.4GHz devices when my phone jumps onto the 5GHz WiFi. Things like the Sonos client say "Unable to connect... etc.". Another option is to blitz my phone with an Android Custom ROM to allow me access to changing the WiFi band I want to use. Devices that can use the 5GHz WiFi will jump onto it randomly, whereas (of course) the 2.4GHz devices will stay put.
0 Ratings
B3NNYB0Y
Contributor
Message 80 of 886

Go to solution

Ok... (like Baldrick), I have a cunning plan.... Reading through this forum I have seen a suggestion for using a 2nd WIFI adapter. Sounds cumbersome having 2 WiFi transmitters, but I do have a spare "Devolo dLAN® 1200+ WiFi ac adapter" which according to its spec does 2.4GHZ and 5GHz Wifi too.

So at present I have already switched off the 5Ghz on the SH2. Everything is working fine on the 2.4GHz WiFi.
But of course this causes a limitation of the download speed to a max of 90Mbps DOWN approx.
So with this I will see if I can introduce the Devolo device to the network and switch off it's 2.4GHz radio.
I currently have a non-WiFi Devolo device connected to the SH2 for other smart plugs in the home, so will see if I can swap it out with the "1200+".
I should be able to create 2 separate WiFis. If it helps + recycles kit I have lying around then it could be a workaround.

Will let you all know how it goes.

Tags (5)
0 Ratings