Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cooper-marsh
Contributor
Message 791 of 821

Re: 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ Bands BT Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

I think Moving to BT for full fibre is possibly the worst decision I have ever made.

Speed is ok for the devices attached to the router by cable, everything else is a crock of poo. Wifi is appalling. 

It's almost as if the WiFi is this bad to make you buy overpriced discs.

I will be looking for a new WiFi6 router when they release them.  Otherwise going to have to fork out over £100 for a new router that works.

paulday888
Aspiring Contributor
Message 792 of 821

Go to solution

To think the people who are tech savvy and go to the effort of finding this forum are probably 0.01 of BT customers who have no clue why their Wi-Fi devices no longer work. And silence from BT. I would love to know if they even care about the feedback from this forum.

Considering this story got on the BBC news initially (and BTs response was we’ve got a fix and it’ll be sorted in May), I think they would be interested to report that there is no successful fix. It seems it requires media attention for BT to even comment.

licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 793 of 821

Go to solution

I very much suspect that it is only the tech savvy with certain devices that are having the problems. The vast majority with just laptops phones and printers having no problems at all.

0 Ratings
Stevezelander
Aspiring Contributor
Message 794 of 821

Go to solution

The world is now tech driven, it is called the internet of things. Ovens, fridges, tv’s,central heating, lighting almost everything with a plug on it will require a Wi-fi connection and more so in the near future. Having a reliable Wi-fi is in fact an essential part of life now unfortunately and things should work first time even for the none tech savvy or tech savvy. BT provide an internet service and it should be fit for purpose. Technology will always give issues, however, a service provider should ensure that they provide a service to customers that they are contracted to do, that works unfortunately at the moment BT are falling way short of this and if the fix is proving difficult all resources should be put into this to get a fix or wind back the firmware update to the last working reliable one until the issue is fully solved. 

Steveee
Contributor
Message 795 of 821

Go to solution

@Stevezelander For me, the issue was fixed. I do use a lot of tech and it’s all working.
Earlier this week I discovered a connection stability issue. Posted a question on this forum and got two suggestions for a fix, one from a tech savvy contributor, one from @NeilO . The BT suggestion worked so no issues remain. 👍 for BT.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 796 of 821

Go to solution

@Stevezelander Playing devil's advocate, it is also incumbent on manufacturers to ensure they adhere completely to standards to ensure interoperability between all devices. I don't know the exact cause of the problem in this case and I doubt anybody on the forum does either, but it wasn't a universal problem which suggests BT weren't wholly responsible.

0 Ratings
Steveee
Contributor
Message 797 of 821

Go to solution

@licquorice You’re exactly right.
The issue existed before the SH2 router with previous BT routers using dual band Wi-fi with a single SSID. As a long time SONOS user, I found a solution that eliminated dual band for my Sonos speakers (I have 8). The solution for me was to connect a single speaker or a Sonos bridge to the router creating a sonosnet mesh network. All speakers effectively appeared on the LAN eliminating the Wi-fi.
Unfortunately when I got my latest Sonos Move speaker this wasn’t a total  solution. The new Sonos Move speaker doesn’t support sonosnet. 😡 Before the firmware update, it meant that if the Move speaker was on 5Ghz band and Sonos controller on 2.4Ghz band I couldn’t control it 🤦‍♂️
The latest SH2 firmware upgrade certainly fixed the issue for me.

0 Ratings
s-express
Beginner
Message 798 of 821

Go to solution

Latest firmware didn't help for me.  Still issues with smart home devices and speakers on 2.4 being accessible from 5Ghz.

I ended up replacing the Smart Hub 2 with a Netgear RAX20 Wi-Fi 6 router that's currently on offer for £59.89, and I've not had any issues since doing so.

arfurdent
Aspiring Contributor
Message 799 of 821

Go to solution

going to be a lot of used BT Smart Hub 2 routers turning up on Ebay or the local tip

0 Ratings
CallistaJM
Beginner
Message 800 of 821

Go to solution

I have the smart hub 2 which they sent after I upgraded to the fastest Broadband.  I thought as before I would be fine with my 2.4ghz devices and could added them on that network but only 1 BT network comes up.

Basically all my smart plugs and new Robotvac (The best item I have ever purchased!!) wont connect and I can’t use them or any apps with them 😭

Is there a fix for this I can do?  I have seen some stuff about firmware, checked my BT app and it says my software is v0.26.04.04227 if that helps.

Thanks in advance for your help 

Rose 

0 Ratings