Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 31 of 59

Re: 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ Bands BT Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

If you start off by turning the 5GHz wireless off on the hub, then connect the thermostat, and any other device that you want on 2.4Ghz, then the devices themselves should remember the BSSID (Wireless MAC Address) of the 2.4GHz radio module in the home hub.

Although the SSID is the same for both bands, the BSSID will be different, and its that information the thermostat should remember. That also applies to any other "smart" devices.

Once you are happy that everything stays connected after a few days, then you can turn the 5GHz wireless back on, but only if you need to.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 59

Go to solution

Bob,

My issue is not as severe as losing the heating on a regular basis. I have done a further series of tests and the conclusion is that it would be better for me to revert to the HUB6.

Evidence is conclusive, latching onto the strongest signal is an issue that is going to cause problems! On the occasions that 2.4G is selected as the strongest signal there is such a difference in speeds that on one occasion the download speed was lower that the upload.

The additional disc that BT sent to me was supposed to improve the signal strength, but it seems to do the same for both frequencies. All the additional disc did was to keep me quiet for a while.

I resolve it here when 2.4G is selected by disconnecting and reconnecting the Hub - it may take a few goes. The results of successfully connecting back to 5G are significant.

As far as connectivity is concerned, I have no issue with walls and girders, just one double wall and a stud wall.

As an aside, once when our heating failed because the junction under the road blew up, the suppliers insisted on lending us a heater driven by a diesel although we were not too bothered. The key here was that we are in our 70s and therefore in a vulnerable category. If the age  issue applies to you as well then it may be an additional stick to beat BT over the head and perhaps they will be able to resolve this problem.

John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 33 of 59

Go to solution
Thanks Keith, I’ll try that later on - just out for lunch.
Cheers
Bob45
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 59

Go to solution

That would be great if BT would actually acknowledge there is issues with the SH2 as if they did I am sure a fix would be released as this matter is a major one and yes, I had equipment used to use the 5ghz but not anymore as if it does not use 2.4ghz then no connection is made. Very frustrating as this were fine on the original Smart Hub which incidently is cheaper to buy and also the SH2 costs more to have on the BT account.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 35 of 59

Go to solution

To be honest and frank we as a end user should not have to pussyfoot around to get the SH2 to connect to either bandwidth - 2.4ghz or 5ghz. This matter in my thoughts is nothing short of disgusting as surely BT do read these posts and as we are all aware they have done absolutely nothing to resolve the problem. As for the disc, that is nothing more than a way to get even more money out of their loyal customers as originally the discs were released in a pack of three units, not just a single disc as if three were supplied it would ensure 100% coverage as with one unit it is very hit and miss. They (BT) state if more discs are needed they will supply them. However in reality getting extra discs is an impossible task as the staff at BT do not understand anything at all that the coverage area to signal strength does fluctuate so much over such a short time frame.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 59

Go to solution

Last night I turned off the  5Ghz band and obviously most of my appliances/gadgets hooked up to the 2.5 Ghz band except for my Bt tv box  and my Amazon Fire TV stick which have an Ethernet cable back to the Bt Smart Hub 2.

So far everything is ok. I’ll report back in a week or so and maybe try putting the 5 Ghz back on.

Come on Bt sort out this issue please.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 37 of 59

Go to solution

I look forward to your next post.

However point of note you will not get the same speed on the 2.5ghz connection as the 5ghz is accc which increases the speed considerably with compatible equipment.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 38 of 59

Go to solution

Unless you are streaming from a NAS within your LAN, wifi speed is fairly academic as the limiting factor will be broadband speed not wifi speed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 39 of 59

Go to solution

Agreed, but I am using my NAS within my LAN, hence speed is an issue.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 40 of 59

Go to solution

After a few days with 5GHz turned off the central heating seems to working ok so the 2.5GHz works with the Nest thermostat but the speed of my iPhone and iPad is not as good as it was so this is not an ideal solution.

Come on BT sort out this issue with the Smart Hub 2.

0 Ratings