Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
David_MadjBright
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

5GGz network name on SmartHub 2

Go to solution

I have just received a Smart Hub 2 to replace my old Home Hub 5. On the HH5 I have named the 2.4GHz network with a name suffixed with 2G4 and the 5GHz network with the same name suffixed with 5G0. As I set-up the SH2 I hoped to use the same names as many people have there devices set to these names but the hub seems to be forcing a name ending with -5. Is there any way to get around this and use the same names as I had on the HH5?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
VeteranISPUser
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: 5GGz network name on SmartHub 2

Go to solution

Hi @David_MadjBright 

If you can split the bands then you don't have a Smart Hub 2. The chances are you have a Smart Hub (HH6). There are ways to rename the 5 GHz SSID but not using the Smart Hub Manager. Sorry I cannot remember the method but if you search the community you may find it.  

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution
0 Ratings
markrobson070169
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

What he's saying is you can't seem to split the 2,4ghz & 5.0 ghz channels on a Smart Hub 2 like you could on a Home Hub 5/6.

I have the same problems as my smart light bulbs are 2.4ghz and don't like the -5 at in the WiFi name

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

You can't split the bands on the SH2, there is no -5 in the wifi name on the SH2.

0 Ratings
markrobson070169
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

I know that's what I said, but my bad, the smart lights don't like the "5" at the end of the Wifi name

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

the smart lights are probably on 2.4ghz and can't even see the 5ghz network so the added '5' is immaterial

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
markrobson070169
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Yes they are on 2.4ghz, but the 5 isn't immaterial because I had a warning when connecting to the smart lights to make sure the WiFi channel wasn't 5ghz due to the "5" in the channel name

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

if you have a SH2 you cannot split the networks and cannot give networks different names so on SH2 there is no '5' problem

as @VeteranISPUser  it is probably hh6 not SH2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

@markrobson070169 wrote:

Yes they are on 2.4ghz, but the 5 isn't immaterial because I had a warning when connecting to the smart lights to make sure the WiFi channel wasn't 5ghz due to the "5" in the channel name

I have no idea why you keep talking about the '5' in the SSID, there is no '5' in the SSID unless you put it there. You can't give the bands different SSID's but you can turn off the 5Ghz band if you so wish and also rename the combined SSID.

0 Ratings