cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlisonFC
Message 1 of 7

Access Control for BT Whole Home

I've been using BT Whole Home for a couple of months and very happy with it so far. It has solved the dead spot issues around my house.
My only bugbear is that I would like to use Access Control with it.
Is there a way to find out if this is planned anytime ever? I have a BT Hub 6.
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Access Control for BT Whole Home

Hi AlisonFC

Naive question: the access controls on the HH6 don't work in conjunction with the BT Whole Home? Naively, I might expect the HH6 to be acting as a DHCP server and have the ability to access control devices, but perhaps that doesn't work. I'm curious as I don't have mesh wifi at home.

Thanks

P.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 3 of 7

@AlisonFC

Access control is handled in the router, or perhaps by software installed on the device, usually a PC or Laptop by whoever administrates the LAN connections.

Some routers have better implementations than others, a good router will be able to have multiple daily start/stop times set for individual devices,  they will kill the existing connection for the device and prevent it connecting again until the stop time is reached.

I gather the hubs may stop a new connection being made gut will not disconnect a devices connection when the stop time arrives.  So that may be your problem, the Hub is not stopping a pre-existing connection.

0 Ratings
AlisonFC
Message 4 of 7

@flamethrower
Thats what I would have thought but isn't the case. To use whole home it's recommended that you switch wifi off on the HH6. I left my access controls on, but now they no longer work and my kids can connect any time day or night!

@liam_expert
Thanks for your comments. It does indeed look like something isn't working as it should. It's a shame as I had rather hoped that as both Whole home and HH6 are BT products they would work together seamlessly! I will try and reset my access control on the hub and will add a device that is not currently connected, set a time limit, then try to connect it after the time limit. That will at least narrow down what the issue might be, but won't fix it. Sounds like BT need an app update for whole home?
0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 5 of 7

As everything is going through the router (Hub) it has control over device access to the Internet.  What it needs is the capability to Terminate an existing connection.  Whether or not Wireless is enabled is immaterial to the function of the access control, it should be monitoring controlled devices by their identity not connection type.  It should terminate a devices access whether it is connecting via ethernet, (wired) or wireless and then prevent further access until the set allowed time is reached.

In reality preventing a user accessing the Internet by using access controls/parental controls, (whatever you want to call them), is a losing battle.  Circumventing the controls is a relatively trivial task, the only sure way is the human (parent) controlling what is going on.  Most kids will already know how to achieve a bypass, the methods are available online and easy to find.

0 Ratings
AlisonFC
Message 6 of 7

OK that makes sense thanks for the info. I wholeheartedly agree that they would be able to find the info on how to circumvent the controls if they were that way inclined, but can honestly guarantee that they don't have that level of curiosity as they are too lazy! The main thing I want to avoid is endless Netflix sessions on the days we have forgotten to confiscate the laptop out of rooms at night. Unfortunately kids do not have the maturity to police themselves and we the parents are human and are sometimes too tired at the end of the day to remember to remove devices!
Access control on the HH did the job, it's a shame it's not replicated on whole home.
Will just have to get more strict on the confiscation of devices again 😄
0 Ratings
Oxlade1
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

@AlisonFC wrote:
I've been using BT Whole Home for a couple of months and very happy with it so far. It has solved the dead spot issues around my house.
My only bugbear is that I would like to use Access Control with it.
Is there a way to find out if this is planned anytime ever? I have a BT Hub 6.

See text from the app description:

Coming Soon
We’re always looking to improve the Whole Home Wi-Fi app and have been listening to your feedback. We have an exciting roadmap of new features including extra ‘Pause’ controls which you can tailor to specific users or devices; the addition of Guest Network functionality; the ability to support up to 6 discs via the app and other improvements coming soon.

So it looks like access controls will be available soon. You'll obviously need to turn off anything you have set up in your Home Hub or router.

0 Ratings