Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IrishRover
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Adding an extra disc with ethernet cable

Go to solution

I have seen several discussions on these topics but some tend to be a bit technical so I'd appeciate a non-tech answer!

I have three discs connected to my BT Hub router - one by ethernet cable, the other two by wi-fi. They are working ok (although this is a replacement set from BT  running on an old software version, following loss of internet connectivity issues with my first set, which worked fine for 4 months and then became impossible). My questions are:

1- I had originally thought that one disc always needed to be connected to the router by ethernet cable, but from other posts I think this is not the case, and once the discs are configured then all three can be connected to the router by wifi; is this correct?

2 - I now want to add a 4th disc out in the summer house.  As this is about 75 meters away from the router and my house has thick stone walls the wi fi signal will not reach. Accordingly I am proposing to connect it by ethernet cable. Once the disc is configured will this work (I have power in the summerhouse)? And will it have the same password as my current discs or will the new disc come with a different password? So in summary I will have the three existing discs connected, one by cable and two by wifi (or all three by wifi depending on the answer to Q1 above), and the new disc by cable - any issues anyone can see?

3 - In my ignorance when I set up my system I thought that the discs 'piggybacked' on each other - in other words I could reach the extremities of my house as the furthest disc (which cannot get a strong signal from the router) would pick the signal up from another disc closer to the router which has a strong signal. But my understanding now is that this is not the case, and each individual disc needs to be in contact with the router. Is this correct?

Many thanks for your help !

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
philtrick
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Adding an extra disc with ethernet cable

Go to solution

To answer your questions-

1) At least one of the discs has to be connected via an ethernet to your router. There is no option to connect the WIFI mesh to another WIFI network.

2) I'm just doing the same. Good luck getting your ethernet cable down the garden and back to your router. The disc uses a discovery protocol over ethernet to find the master disc- all the settign will transfer (Incl. WIFI SSID & Password etc.). Using ethernet cable 'backhaul' should in theory give you the best speed and reliability. FYI- I've buried two CAT6 cable in my garden- I used external grade cable but also put it into 32mm MDPE pipe to provide protection from a stray spade. I put two cables in, one live- one for backup in case the first breaks!

3) At the moment that's what i'm doing. The discs are in a wifi daisy chain (you can see that from the topology screen in the BT Whole Home App. Master dics to Front Room to Garage. So the data from the garage disc transits through the Front Room Disc over WIFI back to the Master disc and then into the router. 

IrishRover
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Many thanks for the prompt response. I'll leave one of the existing discs connected by cable as it currently is and also attach the new 4th disc by cable - I'll go for Cat 6 as you have.  

Re the topology, it shows both 2nd and 3rd discs connected directly to the main disc and not one to the I  line , but maybe this is just the way I've set it up in my house. 

Best regards 

0 Ratings
Rupert-osborne
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Hi kudos 

yes to your  first question you don’t need to have any discs connected to your home hub  via an ethernet connection. you only need to connect the discs just a pair them once the light on the home hub has gone blue to show it is connected by ethernet connection it no longer needs to be connected  you can place it somewhere around your house to try to  improve the  Wi-Fi signal  strength.

Be aware, as this disc connect to the Wi-Fi signal if you pick up a weak signal you’re only boosting the weak signal no matter what BT says,  personally I suggest having a connection expert come in and wire it up so it works as good as possible but if it  makes you feel any better, I get about 7.1 MB of download speed and 0.89 of upload at best times 

For your second question it should work running an ethernet connection to a summerhouse only problem doing that is that an Internet connection over 5 m long gives you a poor signal the cat6 cable is the way to do it but over 75 m you still get a drop in Internet speed and it won’t be as fast as what you receive inside the house connected to the hub. 

The best thing I can suggest is if your house  runs off one consumer unit what I would suggest is to do is buy a TP Link mains wireless Booter,  this works for  Connect to my ethernet wire into the back of the hub and into a number unit (from the TP link) that plugs into the wall this supplies Wi-Fi to every plug socket in your house which you plug the other half of the booster into a socket. This now supplies your full signal strength, as if it was coming out of the routers

so you can plug in computer straight into the bottom  with an ethernet cable BUT doing this stops the Wi-Fi connection

This is the best way you can do this, you can buy several of these  TP Link just the second part is he ready got the first part the plugs into the wall,  and if you  want to get a bit more technical you can change the names of the boosters all to the same name so your  device will stay connected to the one with the best signal. in some cases you might need to turn off the Wi-Fi on your device for a second and back on so it connects to the strongest one but it makes it a bit easier than struggling with weird names Like (TV-link-53478bt69V43) and remember which one goes where hope this helps

0 Ratings
IrishRover
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Great - many thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated.

0 Ratings
Leachim
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Slightly old post, but some serious misinformation to correct here;

Cat5E and Cat 6 cable are both good to 100m at a transfer rate of 100Mb/s, so either will reach down your garden easily. If you can choose, Cat 6 is better (less cross interference).

The plug in units that piggy back the mains circuit (TP Link was mentioned) can be useful, but won't get anywhere near that distance or speed, and are far less reliable.

Best of luck

Mike

0 Ratings
IrishRover
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Many thanks.  Your help is appreciated.  It seems to be working fine now. 

0 Ratings
tudorwhome
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

I may seem a bit slow, but. Just to confirm:

I have just installed 3 discs within the house, one connected Ethernet to the hub, other two in other rooms. All good  

Now I’m installing garden studio away from the house and connection of a fourth disc is showing a poor, orange connection. A bit far for the range. I need for my wife and friends to be able to move and connect seamlessly from house to garden studio. Without changing passwords or anything. So  I can easily run an Ethernet cable from the hub to the garden house. Does that just plug into the fourth disc Ethernet socket and provide seamless Wi-fi?

0 Ratings
philtrick
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
Essentially yes. I did the same at our house. I have a disc in the garage at the end of the garden.
I ran an underground ducting tube from the house to the garage and then pulled in 2 CAT5 cables (one as a spare).
You need to terminate the cables on to CAT 5 sockets and then run a patch cable from the house end to the BT home hub, and the other end needs to be plugged into the WIFI disc.
You could try crimping RJ45 plugs straight on to the cables, but I wouldn't advise it.
Once plugged in the disc will sort its config out over the CAT 5 cable with the master disc.
When you look at the BT Wifi app you will see it connected via ethernet.
0 Ratings