Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gggrich
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Adding wifi access point to powerline

Hi,

I currently use BT Mini Connectors to cable up my BT TV box. I want to resolve a wifi dead zone at the end of my house. Do I need a Mini Connector and Wifi Access Point combination or is there a device that can create a wifi hot-spot by plugging into already enabled powerlines?
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Adding wifi access point to powerline

Its not clear from your post if you wish to create the wifi hotspot at the same location as one of the existing mini connectors or at a different location. If at the same location, a wireless access point (WAP) which connects to the Ethernet port of the Mini connector will do the job. Something like the TP-LINK TL-WA801ND 300 Mbps Wireless N Access Point. If the latter, you might want to consider changing your mini connectors to something like these https://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-multi-kit-084289-BVFH.html

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Welcome to this user forum.

As @licquorice has said, the easiest way would be to plug in a a wireless access point into the spare Ethernet port on the mini connector that is by the YouView box end. That is assuming you want extra wireless coverage in that part of the house.

The mini connectors are the only ones approved by BT, for connecting up to the Youview box, so you may have problems if you use any other type.

The the TP-LINK TL-WA701ND or the TP-Link TL-WA801ND wireless access points work just fine.

I have the setup information for the WA701ND, on my website. The WA801ND is very similar.

0 Ratings
Gggrich
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

It meant to say "other end of the house".
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

@Gggrich wrote:
It meant to say "other end of the house".

Then to ensure compatibility with what you already have, you need to buy an additional  single mini connector, and add it to your existing network by plugging it in at the other side of the house. Then plug a wireless access point into the mini connector.

This page tells you how to add another mini connector to the network.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57213/related/1

0 Ratings