cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Additional Disc in outbuilding

Go to solution

I am about to install an outbuilding to be used as an office / man cave. I currently have 3 Whole Home discs across the house working fine, but the coverage gets really patchy at the bottom of the garden where the new building will be.  Can I use a powerline adapter from the main router into an additional disc in the new building, to effectively extend the mesh network already in place? Any other suggestion gratefully received. Thanks!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Additional Disc in outbuilding

Go to solution
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

It depends on which version of the Whole home you have.

See: BT Whole Home Wi-Fi FAQs - Set-up and installation | BT Help

"Can I connect more than one disc to my hub (router) using the Ethernet cables?"
If you're using Whole Home Wi-Fi or Mini Whole Home Wi-Fi, you can. If you wish, you can locate a disc a long distance from your hub (router) - for example, in an outbuilding - and have an Ethernet cable connection back to your hub (router). Just plug in the cable in the disc’s RJ45 socket and it'll join your Whole Home Wi-Fi network.

If you're using Premium Whole Home Wi-Fi, you can't. Only your first disc can be connected to the hub (router) using an Ethernet cable. If you wish to connect more discs by Ethernet, you'll need to connect them to the Ethernet port on another disc. You can also use the Ethernet ports on these discs for devices such as TVs and printers.

Message 4 of 5

Go to solution
Thanks for the reply. I have the standard Whole Home discs, so hopefully that'll work. Would the ethernet cable need to be a direct feed (ie one cable from Hub to additional Disc) or would this work using ethernet over power. Need to figure out if I need to bury some Cat 6 all the way down the garden to the new building, or if I can just use a powerline adapter.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Good Question.

The power converters will be transparent to the network hence, I imagine, that it will be just the same as a direct cable connection.

Having said that, if burying some Cat6 is a viable option then, in my opinion, that would be the best solution