cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tlmcloughlin
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Another Router Locking Up during large file upload thread. SORRY.

Go to solution
Hi, all I appreciate there are loads of threads regarding the routers not being able to handle large file uploads and completely locking up requiring a plug out reset. This is somewhat annoying when your photo library is autobacking every day.

I've been fobbed off multiple times by a poor BT phone support with a total lack of technical knowledge and the last guy I spoke to blamed a dodgy router batch and sent out a new one. Guess what? The problem still persists. I never had any faith.

So I've attached links to a few posts which are the same issue I have and if someone, preferably a Mod could supply a actually fix that would be very much appreciated.
https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Uploading-causes-drop/td-p/1763993

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Uploading-causing-connection-drop/m-p/1768521#M247322

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help, hopefully someone here knows what they are doing. And Happy new year.
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 14

Re: Another Router Locking Up during large file upload thread. SORRY.

Go to solution
Ditch the home hub. Plenty of reasonable priced replacements out there.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
tlmcloughlin
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution
I've considered it, but don't feel i should have to. Giving the information on those other threads all BT have to do is change a setting but getting anyone to understand that through the support is like getting blood out of a stone.

Also I'm FTTP not sure how that effects me buying a router, any recommendations? The other option however is to just leave BT I'm sure I'd have a case for early cancellation giving the can't supply me with a stable service currently, I'm sure the magic fix uploaded speed button will be pressed then 🤔.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

As far as alternative routers are concerned on FTTP, any good wireless router is all you need, there are plenty to choose from.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution
If you leave BT you may struggle to find a CP that does FTTP, not sure if any one does.
Not sure if your house is a recent new build but if it is there may not be any copper cabling infrastructure in your housing estate for other CPs to utilise for the phone/broadband service
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

I would guess that the issue with the home hub  is input buffer overflow, caused by the flow control not acting soon enough to throttle the input stream and prevent the overflow. A buffer overflow would cause the home hub to lock up, or crash.

As upload speeds have increased, I suspect that changes needed to the firmware, have not been made, to alter the flow control parameters.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
tlmcloughlin
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution
Thanks very much for the input. I'll await contact from a moderator, thanks.

Giving the response on other threads there is a fix for this issue, I guess via a firmware update but even a new bt router didn't resolve that which you would think would have been flashed with new firmware before being sent.

Again thanks very much for the responses everyone.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @tlmcloughlin,

I am sorry to hear about the problems with your upload connection. Ideally the FTTP helpdesk should be able to help you with this. If it's a firmware issue I can speak with a team who can investigate it for me. I'm sure you've tried it already but if you haven't please make sure you've reset each of the Hub's to factory settings. Also, can you check to see if both Hubs have the same firmware?

To get in touch with us, click on my user name and then copy and paste the link under "Moderation Team Email Address" into your browser.  Complete that form and we'll get back in touch with you. We'll get back in touch within 1-3 working days.

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @tlmcloughlin The hub team have investigated this fault and think it should be resolved for you now. Please can you retry uploading and post back to let me know how you get on.

Cheers
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
tlmcloughlin
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution
Hi, thanks for looking into this. I've uploaded a few videos and so far so good, it's not locking up and crashing the router but its fairly slow. I assume the fix was to throttle the upload speed?

Thanks again.
0 Ratings