Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrianD1
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Answer phone delay on BT4600

Go to solution

I have set the answer delay on my BT4600 to 5 rings. I've tested it from another line and the answer machine cuts in as expected after 5 rings. However on some calls mainly or possibly only 0800 incoming calls, the answer machine cuts in after 1 ring. This defeats the object of setting it to 5 rings, is there to ensure the delay applies to all calls?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
NeilO
Message 2 of 10

Re: Answer phone delay on BT4600

Go to solution

Hi @BrianD1 welcome back to the community and thanks for posting, the 5 rings should apply to all calls as there is no option to specify the number of rings depending on the type of number calling you. By any chance do you have any call blocking settings in place that could be rejecting the call and sending it to the answering machine?

0 Ratings
BrianD1
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hi NeilO,

Thanks for the reply. Call blocking is turned on and set for Answer Phone rather than announce, but as the phones are new the blocked call list is empty. The call I noticed that went straight to the answer phone was the BT line-test number (call-back option 1), which I used to check the new setup, which is displayed as an 0800 number. Would that make a difference?

It's a shame that unlike the previous phones, I can't block all international calls by type and entering every international area code individually would be a pain.

Thanks again Brian

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @BrianD1, Am I correct in saying that this happened after you called 17070? If so then it's probably due to the way in which the test works and I wouldn't be too concerned.

Have you considered adding call protect to the line as that would allow you to block international calls?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

@BrianD1 

Remember of course, that unless the number is stored on your phone, callers will either have to announce themselves, or be directed to the answerphone, so there is no need to enter international numbers in the block list, as nearly all will be unwanted, and will be intercepted.

The only ones you would need to enter, would be if you have relatives abroad, and want them to be connected right away.

Remember of course to add your contacts.

0 Ratings
BrianD1
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Neil,

Yes it was although phone displayed an 0800 number not 17070, so I wont worry. I'll investigate call protects and thanks again.

Brian

0 Ratings
BrianD1
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

But surely that means all international calls will ring whereas on the old phone they were offered the answer phone without the phone ringing. Have I misunderstood what you're saying?

Thanks,

Brian

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@BrianD1 wrote:

Hi Keith,

But surely that means all international calls will ring whereas on the old phone they were offered the answer phone without the phone ringing. Have I misunderstood what you're saying?

Thanks,

Brian

No, if they are not stored in your phone, they will be intercepted by Call Guardian, provided its turned on, and will be dealt with by whichever setting you have used. The usual default people use, is "announce". 

The phone will not ring unless the person calling has announced themselves first, so you will not be disturbed. You can then listen to what they say, and take appropriate action, as described in the manual.

If you read the phone manual, you will see what I mean. I have the same phone, although I only turn Call Guardian on, if I have a spate of spam calls, which is quite rare.

0 Ratings
BrianD1
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply. I see what you're saying (finally the penny dropped) that all calls will be blocked unless the number is in the allowed or contact list. One thing I did notice, if I put someone in the contacts list without the std code, the incoming call is not recognised so goes straight to answer machine, but it does display the name from the contacts list so is partly recognised. I know the manual says to enter the full number but as local calls don't need it, I tried to take a short-cut.

Regards

Brian

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

I am pleased you have it sorted 😀

0 Ratings