cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Apple iOS devices local network function with BT Whole Home Wi-Fi mesh and Vodafone Router

Hi, I have two iOS devices (an iPhone and iPad) and I have an app on both that will send video data from device one to the other if they're on the same Wi-Fi network in an iOS feature called "local networking".

I have 3 mesh discs on "Whole Home Wi-Fi 6" with software version SGAC20832C, and a Vodafone router, which acts as the internet gateway and DHCP server. 

But.. the local networking doesn't work. The devices can find each other's IP address, but can't send each other any video data. As a related issue, another clue, neither can I screen share from my Macbook to my Samsung TV.

Using Wireshark, I can see that the DHCP discover request has an offer response back from the main BT mesh disc ("Office" on 192.168.1.191), which contains a Relay agent IP address of 192.168.1.191 and a Next server IP address of 192.168.1.1. The DHCP server identifier is 192.168.1.1 as well, which all looks correct.

On my BT Whole Home admin panel I can see in the ip-addressing tab, it says:

Your Whole Home Wi-Fi network will automatically obtain an IP address from your broadband router. If you wish to set the address manually, please adjust the fields below.

Obtain an IP address automatically [x]

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
DNS Server 1  192.168.1.1
Gateway 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server 192.168.1.1

Office IP Address 192.168.1.191
Sitting Room IP Address 192.168.1.179
Master Bedroom IP Address 192.168.1.185

On the Vodafone side:

the Wi-Fi network is ON (with a different name to the mesh network)
Allow Ping to WAN interface is off
Firewall is on
Hard Drive and Printer sharing is ON
DLNA and SAMBA is ON
Public subnet is OFF
UPnP is ON
DHCPv4 Server is ON
IPv6 is ON
IPv6 ULA is OFF
Address pool goes from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.199

The IP addresses that my iOS devices get assigned are all in the 192.168.1.X range as designed above.

Does anyone have any clue what might be going on? Is the Mesh not able to pass UPNP "through" itself?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Apple iOS devices local network function with BT Whole Home Wi-Fi mesh and Vodafone Router

@pw434254 

You would be best asking the product helpdesk as they may be able to answer this for you. Call them on 0808 100 6116 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5.30pm, Saturday 9am to 2pm) or drop them an email to: btconnectedhome@bt.com

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Re: Apple iOS devices local network function with BT Whole Home Wi-Fi mesh and Vodafone Router

Under settings-privacy is the app allowed?

Are all devices on the same Wi-Fi SSID?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 4 of 5

Hi Steve,

On the iOS app on both devices .. yes. Settings > Privacy > Local Network.

And yes, both on the same Wi-Fi SSID..

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Thanks Keith,

I've emailed them and will update this thread if anyone comes back to me.

0 Ratings