cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavJames
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Are the BT Homeplugs Reliable?

I have Netgear Powerline AV500 Homeplugs. I'm getting the full speed on them, however at random, many times a day I'm getting a glitch where the speed drops from 6 MB/s (not mbps) to 0.5 MB/s and the upload speed drops as well. The speed will drop down and then within a minute the speed will go back up to it's normal speed. This is NOT throttling by my ISP. Also sometimes the connection will disonnect once or twice a day or it can go several days without any disconnects. When it disconnects it reconnects on it's own within a few minutes.

I've tried TP Link homeplugs as well but those were even worse with lots of disconnects.

In the old days when homeplugs first came out I had 10 Mbps Solwise homeplugs and they worked without issues. It's only the present day homeplug technology that's giving me problems. These are NOT wireless homeplugs.

Was told by a BT engineer who was doing work in my home that the BT Homeplugs wouldn't give those problems but he said make sure to get wireless ones even though I'm not using wireless. Can anyone confirm that BT homeplugs will be better?

Which BT homeplugs should I get?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
pcfarrar
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Are the BT Homeplugs Reliable?

Always make sure you are running the latest firmware on your homeplugs. I would avoid BT homeplug's as they do not have very good support.

I have had best results with TP-Link AV2000 homeplug's. They are not cheap but they are broadcom based and very reliable:

TL-PA9020P

0 Ratings
DavJames
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

OK thanks. I'll buy them. What is broadcom based?

Do I have to pair them for them to work and how would pairing work if I have 3 of the devices?
0 Ratings
Dode
Expert
Message 4 of 5

Have been using the BT 500 Home Plugs for quite a few years now with no problems at all. Using an iMac and Infinity 1.

0 Ratings
oakserver
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 5

I had 100% reliability for months with the BT mini hub providing extended wireless ac via homplug technology. 

0 Ratings