cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Automatic Firmware Updating of Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

I hadn't been using the Smart Hub2 since fairly soon after BT sent it to me as I prefer a different Router/VDSL FTTC Modem. I think the SH2 did do one firmware update shortly after first switch-on. Anyway the current firmware is v0.17.01.12301-BT updated Fri May 29 11:02:47 2020.

It occurred to me that when the change to Digital Phone is implemented I will have to use the SH2 to connect to the line so perhaps I should switch it back into service now and let it update its firmware automatically overnight.

However, so far no update has occurred. The only overnight entries I can see in the event log from last night are :-

07:49:03, 07 Dec. CWMP: session completed successfully
07:49:03, 07 Dec. CWMP: HDM socket opened failed.
07:49:03, 07 Dec. CWMP: Initializing transaction for event code 0 BOOTSTRAP
03:32:58, 07 Dec. CWMP: session completed successfully
03:32:58, 07 Dec. CWMP: HDM socket opened failed.
03:32:58, 07 Dec. CWMP: Initializing transaction for event code 0 BOOTSTRAP
01:24:55, 07 Dec. CWMP: session completed successfully
01:24:55, 07 Dec. CWMP: HDM socket opened failed.

In end user terms everything is working fine just as it did with my other router. 50Mbps download and 9Mbps upload. The SH2 says Noise margin 14.2/10.4.

Do I have to do anything manually to get a firmware update or is it just a question of being patient and leaving it for some time for an automatic update? If so, how long should one typically have to wait?

Many thanks if anyone can help. BTW I am far from being an expert in this technology so if the question seems unnecessary or naive then please accept my apologies. It's my first post!

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Automatic Firmware Updating of Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

Hi @GuyBB   In my experience they normally update and reboot soon after connecting. However v.0.17 is way out of date, the current software is v0.30.

Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Just leave it connected until it does update, could take a few days.

Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks - I will just leave it

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

If you have downloaded a backup of the SH2 settings, can also be worthwhile doing a factory reset of the SH2 - this has worked for me in the past and the SH2 has upgraded within a half-hour of that each time. You can restore the settings after the reset etc.

Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

Thank you so much! I had been waiting very patiently with no success. I took a backup and then did a factory reset and within about 5 minutes the firmware updated to v0.30.01.08093-BT.

Everything is working at full speed but I noticed something slightly odd. I'm using the Smart Hub 2 primarily as a modem (retaining its default address of 192.168.1.254). My internal network (192.168.0.0) is managed by a Draytek 2862 Router whose WAN2 port connects to a LAN port on the Smart Hub2. As a resilient back up to the Draytek I also have a TP-Link router whose WAN port also connects to a LAN port on the Smart Hub 2. Previously these routers showed in the Smart Hub 2 My Devices as Ethernet LAN connected devices with their static addresses of 192.168.1.10 and 11. But now they are showing as Wireless 5 GHz Devices - still with the correct static addresses. This is strange as the TP-Link router only supports 2.4 GHz (and that is switched off) and the Draytek is a non wireless model and anyway they are connected by wire! Also the user data concerning these two routers (Device Name and Device Icon) was not restored by the restore from backup although easily manually reinstated of course.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Re the LAN connected devices showing as 5 GHz WiFi connected, they have now reverted to displaying as Ethernet Connections. So a short lived issue!

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

It just so happens mind updated to v30 overnight when I checked first thing this morning.

Mine always update automatically when it’s ready however following the update the Wi-Fi disc always need an off/on to get it to connect and work

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

It would be a tremendous coincidence if having not updated in five days of being continuously powered up and connected to broadband, it was just about to do so whether I did a factory reset or not. Especially as the firmware update took place within about five minutes of the factory reset.

The next test will occur when BT next pushes out a firmware update and I either receive it automatically or don't.

0 Ratings