cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
icepuffin
Contributor
Message 31 of 100

Re: Avast reports smarthub vulnerable to attack.

Go to solution

You don't know if it's a scare tactic, in fact you don't really know what your talking about and just making a comment for the sake of it.

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 32 of 100

Go to solution

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the delay in providing an update.  I am awaiting news from our product team and the second I have something to share I will post back here.

Cheers

Sean

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
icepuffin
Contributor
Message 33 of 100

Go to solution

SeanD,

Do you have an update yet, if not can you chase it up please.

This is a potentially important issue and to be quite honest I would have expected a better response from BT by now as either it's nothing to worry about or action is required ?

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 34 of 100

Go to solution

Hi @icepuffin,

Sorry about the extended delay in updating you.   I don't have any new info to share at the moment but the second I do I will be back here to confirm.

Cheers

Sean

Community ManagerSeanD
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
ljm
Aspiring Expert
Message 35 of 100

Go to solution

Sean D,

I am with IcePuffin on this one.................. I mean i would've thought someone from BT would've marked this 'priority' or 'urgent' and given it's customers an answer to this bynow!!  I am completely shocked at the lack of attention by BT on this one!!

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 36 of 100

Go to solution

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the delay in getting an update out to you.

We are aware of a vulnerability that exists in DNSMasq, which could potentially allow for someone to cause code to be run on some routers. Although Avast is suggesting that BT Hubs are susceptible to this type of attack, we have been unable to reproduce this on BT Hubs.   Further investigations continue but we will start upgrading hubs in April in any case to address the reported vulnerability.

Cheers

Sean

Community ManagerSeanD
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
icepuffin
Contributor
Message 37 of 100

Go to solution

Thank you for the reply.

I am not technically minded but the obvious question is - does the BT hub use an older  DNSMasq version and not the 2.78 version as suggested?

Hopefully as BT is aware the upgrade will cover this issue, thanks again.

0 Ratings
WillowCot
Message 38 of 100

Go to solution

Hi Sean,

I'm not happy about having a hub6 in my house, especially as Avast is still reporting the issue as a high alert status. But the only alternative offered to me was a hub5. The hub5 did not work well with the fibre optics; it made my Skype service virtually unusable and iplayer movies wouldn't play.  So now I'm back on the hub6, praying my system doesn't get compromised. I had a BT technician out to the house this week to check my lines, because I'm still having issues with poor quality Skype and with films & series where sound and action don't synchronize. The BT technician who checked my service over the phone reported that she was getting an amber signal, so when I told the BT repairman who came here what she said about the amber, he said she did not give him any details which would help him find the issue. He did several tests with his equipment, but could not find it. I'm so unhappy with this hub6.  Please tell me, how can I get one of the upgraded hubs (coming in April) that you spoke of in your message? I asked the repairman and the BT tech on the phone and neither one of them had heard of any upgrades being available. 

0 Ratings
WillowCot
Message 39 of 100

Go to solution

Sean, when and how can I get the upgraded Hub6 for my home - the ones you said were coming in April?

I am not happy that I am stuck with equipment which Avast is still highlighting as serious risk. And my new fibre service is not good. Yes, speed tests show that I'm getting lots of mbps, as promised, and the picture is nice and clear, but my Skype calls (needed for work and for private) are of constant poor quality and iplayer films and series keep stopping suddenly, then the sound and action go out of sync and stay out.  This happens every day, every time I use them.

To be honest, I was getting better results when I had the old internet service with a BT Hub4.  The BT technician who tested my line on the phone reported she was getting an amber signal, and she sent a repairman to my house. He did lots of tests and found nothing wrong here. He said the technician did not leave him any details about the amber, which might have helped him locate the problem.

Please will you respond with info on how to get the upgraded hub? I asked the techinician and repairman, as well as the sales department, and no one knew anything about newly upgraded hubs. 

The repairman had heard lots of complaints however about the issue reported by Avast.  This is such poor service by BT. We need to trust that our computer use is safe and not easily compromised. I can't accept BT's claim that there's no sign of a problem. Has anyone at BT even thought of contacting Avast to discuss exactly what is wrong and fixing it? Surely there's something you can do if you identify with Avast's help what they are highlighting as a security issue. 

0 Ratings
icepuffin
Contributor
Message 40 of 100

Go to solution

Hi Willocot,

As i understand it, it is not a new upgraded Hub 6 , all that happens is that they can update your existing hub with an update over your broadband.

0 Ratings