cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
V_Meldrew
Expert
Message 71 of 100

Re: Avast reports smarthub vulnerable to attack.

Go to solution

@icepuffinwrote:

I did not aggressively rubbish your previous post. We have been trying to resolve this for months now and your answer was that it was "scare tactics" by Avast to get us to use the paid version, you offered no actual help on that occasion. 

So why didn't you ask me to explain instead of getting abusive? I would have thought that what I put was perfectly clear then and even clearer now. 

Have you read the article I posted a link too earlier today?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 72 of 100

Go to solution

@Silver29 wrote:

I am using the paid Avast which is showing the Hub vulnerability, so there are no scaremongering tactics to upgrade involved.

Sorry but not sure how just because the paid version shown same as free version that there is no scare tactics. It would have been more questionable if paid version had not shown same as free version 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
V_Meldrew
Expert
Message 73 of 100

Go to solution

@Silver29wrote:

I am using the paid Avast which is showing the Hub vulnerability, so there are no scaremongering tactics to upgrade involved.

The scare tactics I refer to are not intended to get people to switch to just any paid version, they are intended to scare people into buying the VPN service which is only available either with Avast Ultimate or as a paid for service on its own.

If you bought the Ultimate edition and are still having this problem then you should ask for your money back

Personally I wouldn't (didn't) go for the Avast VPN, there are more established services out there at a reasonable price.

0 Ratings
icepuffin
Contributor
Message 74 of 100

Go to solution

At no point was I " abusive"  I'm trying to sort this with others and all you could say was it was " scare tactics" to try and get us to pay for Avast. which I didn't take as helpful. 

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Expert
Message 75 of 100

Go to solution

@icepuffinwrote:

At no point was I " abusive"  I'm trying to sort this with others and all you could say was it was " scare tactics" to try and get us to pay for Avast. which I didn't take as helpful. 

Did you find the article I posted the link too earlier today helpful?

0 Ratings
icepuffin
Contributor
Message 76 of 100

Go to solution

Yes,  at least it helps to explain things better than your first post, but there is still a lack of response from BT over this issue .

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Expert
Message 77 of 100

Go to solution

@icepuffinwrote:

Yes,  at least it helps to explain things better than your first post, but there is still a lack of response from BT over this issue .

No argument there but I'm not sure what response you expect from BT after all this time.

You say you and a few others have been trying to sort this out but perhaps you could do more than bang your head against a brick wall (BT being the brick wall). 

Personally, as you may have guessed, I'm not in the least bit worried about it but if you want to persue it further with the help of others on this community then here's a few suggestions.

Does this issue only apply to BT routers or does it also apply to 3rd party routers (e.g. TP-link).

If it only applies to BT routers, then does it only apply to certain types.

Does it also apply to those with BT routers who have opted out of BT WiFi.

Is anyone else, other than myself, using a HH6 with a VPN and if so do they get the same results as me when running Avast WiFi inspector with the VPN enabled.

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 78 of 100

Go to solution

@bellrog wrote:

@SeanD  Dear Sean, please could you provide an update on this DnsMasq issue? Do I need to manually update the firmware in my BT Smart Hub or will BT be remotely patching these devices for its customers?

Hi @bellrog and everyone else,

I am so sorry for the delay in commenting on this thread.  I have spoken with our product team and can confirm that this vulnerability has been patched.

The most recent firmware that was released by BT (SG4B1000B540) has not updated the DNSMASQ version number however a patch was included which counteracts the vulnerability.  Therefore any customer on the new firmware is protected but Avast will still thrown up the warning message indicating you may be at risk because the DNSMASQ version number has remained the same.

There will be a future update coming which will address the DNSMASQ version number and once this has been applied you will no longer be presented with a warning message from Avast.  I dont have a concrete timescale on this but we hope to have this out to everyone in the next couple of months.

So to confirm, if you are running SG4B1000B540 then you are protected from the vulnerability but Avast will still show a warning message.  If you are still running an older firmware version then please make yourself known to the moderators and we can get your details to flash the new firmware to your hub.

Once again I am sorry for the delay in confirming what has actually taken place and I apologies for the confusion that still occurs.

Cheers

Sean

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
DCglasgow
Contributor
Message 79 of 100

Go to solution

Thanks for the update Sean.  My firmware is version v0.09.05.11160-BT, last updated 18 Jan 2018.

0 Ratings
Silver29
Aspiring Contributor
Message 80 of 100

Go to solution
Thanks Sean. My Hub is still running version ending 522 last updated 13.4.18. Not sure where the 'contact link' here is to give you details. (Clicking on SeanD in the box at the end gives me an 'invalid parameters' message??)
0 Ratings