cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

BT 8600 Text Message Alert

Good Afternoon.

I've discovered that my BT 8600 does not alert me when a text message is received.

The display lights up but there is no ring tone so, unless I happen to be looking at it, I don't know the text has arrived!

I have looked in the settings as per page 54 of the manual:

Menu-Settings-Sounds-Alert tones-Text message-on-save

Is there anything else I need to do, please?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT 8600 Text Message Alert

@WorriedParent 

Make sure that the BT Text number is not being blocked by the phone.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Thanks, but this is not from just one source.
Also, if the source is blocked, surely the text wouldn't appear on the display?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

@WorriedParent wrote:
Thanks, but this is not from just one source.
Also, if the source is blocked, surely the text wouldn't appear on the display?

If the phone is similar to the BT4600, then even if the number is blocked on the phone, it will still show on the display, but as a missed call.

I think possibly the text message, is simply an extension of the existing CLI (Calling Line Identity) system, so the phone would still display the message, but the call blocking would detect the CLI part of the message, and stop the phone from alerting you.

The way to prove this, is to turn call blocking off, then send a text from your mobile, to your landline phone, and see if you get the alert tone.

I think the actual BT Text number is the same for all incoming texts, so try adding 0845 602 1111, to your allowed number in your phone.

See https://www.bt.com/help/landline/set-up-and-use-bt-text#:~:text=If%20you%20receive%20spoken%20text%2...).

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Thanks, that's a bit complicated at this time of night, but I'll give it a go tomorrow!
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

@WorriedParent wrote:
Thanks, that's a bit complicated at this time of night, but I'll give it a go tomorrow!

You just need to make sure that  0845 602 1111 is added to the list of numbers stored in the phone, so that its not blocked.

0 Ratings