Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheBigBuffalo
Beginner
Message 2 of 6

BT Broadband Extender issue

Go to solution

So I have virgin media and typically get 150mbps with it, but my room is on the other side of the house so I have been using the BT Broadband Extender 500 and for months there has been no issue, with speeds averaging around 40 mbps, and then suddenly at random points during the day it would plummit to around 1-3 mbps or even <1, to which I then turn it off and on and then it gets the faster speeds again. But this isn't a fix because it seems to drop at random points during the day, making the internet unusable.

Has anyone experienced something similar and know whats going on?

Cheers

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
TheBigBuffalo
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Re: BT Broadband Extender 600 suddenly has terrible performance

Go to solution

I am currently having the same issue, it worked perfectly fine for weeks and now I am getting speeds between 1-10 mbps

0 Ratings
TheBigBuffalo
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

BT Broadband Extender 500 won't pair with hotspot

Go to solution

I have been using the BT Broadband Extender 500 for months now with no real issues, but recently I have suddenly been experiencing massive plummits in speed from my usual average of 40 mbps down to 1-3 mbps or even <1 mbps. The quick fix for this was to turn the adapter off and on, but then after a couple of hours it will then drop again.

So the other day I found that there was an update for the firmware, so I downloaded it and whilst it was installing, I stupidly unplugged the hotspot, and I think I broke the whole damn thing, as the update status wouldn't complete, and nowthe data light for the extender won't turn on, and the hotspot won't pair with it even after factory resets which seem to do absolutely nothing.

Any help will be appreciated as I am slowly going insane over the issue

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Re: BT Broadband Extender 500 won't pair with hotspot

Go to solution

If you turned  it off during an update you will no doubt have corrupted the software and you now have a brick. 

There will be no way that you will be able to restore the software. Unfortunately the unit is now fit for the bin

0 Ratings
TheBigBuffalo
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

I thought so, just wanted to make sure! cheers mate

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@TheBigBuffalo I'm sorry to see you're having problems with your broadband extenders. They may be bricked but before consigning them to the bin I'd recommend you get in touch with the Broadband Extender 500 help desk to see if anything can be done to fix them. 

They can be contacted by phone: 0808 100 6116

Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.30pm

Saturday 9.00am to 2.00pm

Or by email: btconnectedhome@bt.com

0 Ratings