cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kirkish
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

BT Complete WiFi discs with 3rd party router

I've recently replaced the Smart Hub 2 router on my FTTP line but I want to retain the wireless discs to cover my entire house properly - I'm using the black, BT Complete discs. 

I've kept the BT SH2 router and cabled it directly in to the back of the new router (via one of its 'inside' ethernet ports). I've disabled DHCP as I'm now running DHCP from my new router. I can still use the wireless on the BT SH2 router, but none of the discs are working any more. I occasionally see them grab an IP from the DHCP pool, but their LED is solid red can I can't connect to wireless via them. 

Should this configuration work? Any tips of troubleshooting at all? As I can still access wireless on the SH2, I'm surprised the discs are failing so appreciate any insights.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
supertedster
Contributor
Message 2 of 15

Re: BT Complete WiFi discs with 3rd party router

You could try re-enabling DHCP on the SH2 using a small range of IP's outside that offered by your new router. So set that so it doesn't use the IP's in the mini pool used by the SH2.

Dunno if it'll work like but worth a punt.

Cheers
Ted
0 Ratings
kirkish
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Thanks Ted. Good shout, I'll give that a try. Does anybody know if the SH2 issues any custom DHCP options to a Disc that which could be causing the failure?

0 Ratings
rosco1966
Beginner
Message 4 of 15

Hi Kirkish, did you get your discs to work now? i'm about to do the same with an Asus router?
0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 15

Although it's not very clever to have more than one DHCP server on a network there's nothing to say that you have to disable the SH2 one. A simpler, more practical method would be to disable the one on your Asus router instead

0 Ratings
rosco1966
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

The only thing is the wifi speed on my Asus is way better than the SH2 when i tested it. wouldn't turning off the DHCP affect that? sorry i know it may be a stupid question!

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 15

The DHCP server simply allocates automatic IP addresses (dynamic IP), it will not affect speed

0 Ratings
rosco1966
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

so to clarify; disable dhcp on the asus router, leave the BT SH2 as is except plug that into the LAN of the Asus? I'll try once my kids are away to school tomorrow or there will be hell to pay if no internet !

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 15

If you want to connect the Asus to the BT SH2 Lan to Lan, then you need to

1. Decide which DHCP server to go with and disable the other
  2. Change the IP address of one of the routers (you can't have two routers with the same address). I suggest you set a static IP address of 192.168.1.1 on the Asus but it's not critical
  3. Decide which Wi-Fi network you want to go with. You can leave them both on if you wish but consider that you may be cluttering up an already cluttered spectrum (dependant upon your local environment)
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 15

@kirkish 

Is it not the case that the Black discs will only work with the SH2. Could this be your issue - speaking from a place of complete ignorance about Complete Wifi.

0 Ratings