cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Simonash10
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

BT FTTP - Bt WiFi discs connecting to Smart Hub 2 using 5GHZ band then reverting to the 2.4GHZ band.

Setup - BT Fibre to the Prem (FTTP), BT smart Hub 2, 4 wifi discs

Hi - has anyone else experienced this issues:-

Discs connect initially using 5GHZ band, then after a random period of time. (could be hours or days or weeks) I notice slower speeds, and check my system, only to find the discs are connected to the smart hub using the 2.4GHZ band. 

Once utilising this band they never seam to revert back to the 5GHZ band automatically, and you need to force a reset of the disks. 

The closest disk of probably 5M away (in a straight line) with the furthest about 15M max, and we live in a new house an not a house with thick solid walls.

The only way to get the speeds I pay for is via a wired connection, anything that uses the WiFi network is on the low double digits speed (~30Mb), wired I get ~900MB. 

BT can you please provide an update on why this is happening, and how the system can automatically recover to the faster 5GHZ band? Or do I have a problem with my Smart Hub????

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Dippu
Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT FTTP - Bt WiFi discs connecting to Smart Hub 2 using 5GHZ band then reverting to the 2.4GHZ b

I don't have a solution but I think it's worth mentioning that the problem could be due to weak 5GHz signal coming from the hub.

Smart Hub 2 transmits BSSIDs  which are used by the Black Disks for both frequencies and I have noticed on my hub using a WiFi analyser that the 5GHz signal has always been weak ever since I have had the hub although I don't use the Disks so it does not affect me. See below the analyser screen shot. 

I think it might be worth an investigation by the Hub Team.

Dippu_0-1601890566347.png

0 Ratings
BAFlyer
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Re: BT FTTP - Bt WiFi discs connecting to Smart Hub 2 using 5GHZ band then reverting to the 2.4GHZ b

I believe this is quite a common problem, although not necessarily well reported. I had this issue too and came to the conclusion it may have been an issue with the Smart Hub 2’s built in DHCP sever, after looking at the hub logs.  I managed to get my discs to connect reliably on the 5Ghz band by using a third party DHCP server, on a NAS unit, I have on my home network. However, after the last firmware update ( Hub - v0.21.03.07094-BT; Disc - 0.20.00.06221) the two discs I have started dropping to 2.4Ghz again, so I tried out the new hub firmware to see if there had been an improvement. To make sure the new firmware was fully embedded into the devices I did a factory reset on all devices first.  So far they have maintained a 5Ghz connection for about a week. 

When the devices have dropped to 2.4Ghz connection in the past I only power cycle them to get them back to a 5Ghz connection, but I did find that after several power cycles, one or both discs would not reconnect to the hub at all, continuous red flashing light, and I had to power cycle the Smart Hub 2 to get all to connect correctly. There does appear to be some form of memory cache in the hub associated with the disc connection that gets full and only a power cycle will clear this.

Hope this helps.

0 Ratings
Simonash10
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Thanks Both

I have just reset by discs but cycling the power (on/off button) all discs come back as 5GHZ connected all with good connections. 

I now get 140MB speed on my mobile device.

Its really annoying that they do not re-establish a 5GHZ connection after dropping to 2.4GHZ. When clearly the discs are in range of the 5GHz signal ( the initial connection speed). 

0 Ratings