Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aman969
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

BT Flex 600 powerline adaptor Very Slow Speeds

Hi all,

Yesterday i bought a pai of BT Flex 600 powerline adaptors but wheni set them up, I wasn't getting the speeds im supposed to be getting. Im currently with Virgin on a 200mbps broadband but im only getting 10mbps download and the same for upload. ive checked if both ethernet cables that came with the powerliners were faulty but they work fine, and have swapped both adapoters around( from my router to my pc) but still achieve the same slow speeds. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: BT Flex 600 powerline adaptor Very Slow Speeds

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail customers.

Have you asked on the Virgin users forum, to see if anyone else has problems using these devices?

See https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?advanced=false&allow_punctuation=...

0 Ratings
aman969
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

ive posted it there but havent heard anything just yet
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

@aman969 wrote:
ive posted it there but havent heard anything just yet

It possible that they are only auto negotiating a connection speed of 10Mbs instead of 100Mbs, due to some form of duplex mismatch. This can happen between 1GB  and slower speed devices, due to issues with the Ethernet link pulse, which contains the connection parameters.

You could try an Ethernet switch between your router, and the BT Flex 600, and see if that help

0 Ratings
aman969
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

Without having to buy more external things to make this work, it there not a manual way to check what speeds its receiving?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

@aman969 wrote:
Without having to buy more external things to make this work, it there not a manual way to check what speeds its receiving?

You have already said that its only 10Mbs. Unless there is a way to look at the link speed on your VM hub port, then you are stuck, as I don`t think the administrative page of the Flex 600, reports the link speed.

You can get into the admin interface by going to http://mybtdevice.home , while connected to the adapter.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
aman969
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

thanks ill give it a try

0 Ratings
aman969
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

its not coming up with anything, just says the site cant be reached
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

@aman969 wrote:
its not coming up with anything, just says the site cant be reached

You have to access that page while actually connected to the remote end of the link. If you know what IP address its been allocated by the router, then you can also access it by entering the IP address in your web browser, from anywhere on your local network.

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 10 of 15

@aman969wrote:

Hi all,

Yesterday i bought a pai of BT Flex 600 powerline adaptors but wheni set them up, I wasn't getting the speeds im supposed to be getting. Im currently with Virgin on a 200mbps broadband but im only getting 10mbps download and the same for upload. ive checked if both ethernet cables that came with the powerliners were faulty but they work fine, and have swapped both adapoters around( from my router to my pc) but still achieve the same slow speeds. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi, powerline speeds can be affected by appliances on your electrical mains. If your wiring and appliances are fairly recent then it shouldn't be a problem, but if your wiring is old (I'm talking >40 years old old!) then it could affect the speed. You might also want to have a play with unplugging appliances and see if that helps and narrow down the problem. For example, we've found that fish tanks can sometimes be a problem as their pump aren't often of great quality and leak interference through the mains.

Also make sure your powerline adapters  are plugged into the wall directly; don't plug them into a trailing multi-socket. 

Hope this helps.

Community ModeratorBrunoN
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings