cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

BT Halo 3 + HybridConnect - no 4G signal

Five weeks ago, I u/g'd from Halo 2 (complete wi-fi) to Halo 3+ to get Hybrid Connect. which I successfully connected to the SH2. However, even with two antennas attached to the HC, I couldn't get a 4G signal.  If I took the HC upstairs I sometimes got an intermittent half a bar but then the HC was too far from the SH2 for a wi-fi connection.  This is in spite of  BT/EE saying my area had a good mobile signal.  BT couldn't help, even sending a second HC, but the result was the same and I have since returned  both HCs.

We are, in general, in a very bad signal area but,  just FYI,  about 4 years ago, I bought (via EBay) and installed an EE mobile signal booster (also connected to a Smart Hub port) which  was great and gave a 4 bar mobile signal, prior to the advent of wi-fi calling, which rendered it redundant.  If the EE booster worked so well, why doesn't the Hybrid Connect  (EE sim) - in exactly the same location?

It is very frustrating that BT doesn't first ensure good 4G reception for customers to whom it promotes  Halo 3+ with Hybrid Connect.

I've read in other posts that the SH2 Firmware version might be an issue.  My current version, at the time of trying the HCs, and now, is v0.26.04.04227-BT auto-updated to the SH2 24 April 2021.

Are there any users out there who have had their HC work successfully with this firmware version and if not, which firmware version have they found compatible with the HC to produce a 4G signal.

Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

Pedro38

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: BT Halo 3 + HybridConnect - no 4G signal

Did you not check the EE coverage in your area before ordering halo 3+?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

Of course I did, via the EE website, which indicated I have a good signal in my area. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

@Pedro38  "It is very frustrating that BT doesn't first ensure good 4G reception for customers to whom it promotes  Halo 3+ with Hybrid Connect."

I can assure you that is not correct, it physically won't allow it to be ordered if there's poor 4g coverage when checked

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

The booster you mention in simple terms just used a wifi connection to emit a 3g signal around your home. The idea of the hybrid connect is for it to naturally pick up a 4g signal to give you internet access that way, meaning if your wifi was down it would fall back to the 4g connection. Sounds like it may just be down to the 4g coverage around your home which would render the hybrid connect pretty useless for you IMO.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

I don't accept what you say.  I think, at best,  BT only assumes I have a good 4G signal, from what it might see on the EE website regarding its 4G coverage.  BT doesn't actually do a physical 4G check on my property.  Hence, unquestioningly, it allowed me to upgrade to Halo 3+ with HC, and even sent a second  HC, when the first didn't work, which similarly failed to get a signal. Trouble is that BT is so vast its l/h doesn't know what its r/h or its subsidiaries is/are doing.  

Despite asking me to return the two HCs, which I have, and the failures I've had with HC, its website today, after 'checking your account', is still promoting Halo 3+ with HC as an upgrade option for me.

My experience clearly undermines your statement.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

Sorry but are you suggesting that someone from BT should visit your property to make sure you have sufficient 4g signal before selling you hybrid connect?  BT did ensure that according to the mobile provider EE that your address had sufficient reception which you confirm  was ok but surely it was up to you to ensure that you could actually receive a 4g reception before ordering

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 8 of 19

Thanks for explaining the difference between the booster  (3G )and the HC (4G).  The booster was presumably able to 'pull in' the exterior3G signal, before boosting it via wi-fi, whereas the HC is unable to this with 4G, at least where I live.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

I did not confirm I had an EE 4G signal.  How am I suppose to check it anyway when I don't have an EE contract, nor any EE related equipment until receiving the HC kit.  I could only go on what EE's website indicated. This is rather 'cart before the horse'.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

@Pedro38wrote:

The booster was presumably able to 'pull in' the exterior3G signal, before boosting it via wi-fi.

Hi @Pedro38   I am not sure that is correct (happy to be completely wrong!). I used to have a Vodafone Sure Signal which works by connecting to the Vodafone 3G network via my broadband router and acting like a personal 3G transmitter for the home mobile numbers because the external 3g signal was so poor. It gave us 4 bars plus in the house.

0 Ratings