cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JANEVANS02
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

BT Home Hotspot 600

Think I posted this in wrong place so re-posting here.

We live in an area where broadband is very poor today did download test and it was 1.6 but does varie usually lower.

I mostly use my laptop wirelessly but  as my house is old and has thick walls my connection keeps dropping out or is very slow so I purchased BT Home Hotspot 600 to boost my signal connected it all up and amazing results ever where I went downstairs service was excellent but sadly nothing upstairs so I purchased second set and connected up as per instructions and now it is terrible, available connections shown are sometimes blank othertimes shows the Hub 4 and one or someimes the two Hotspots but does not want to connect to either of the hotspots only able to connect to hub does this mean it is not using the Hotspots.

I did once manage to connect to one of the hotspots which is furtherest away from Hub walked to room next to Hub and it lost connection I had to manually connect to Hub as it would not connect to any hotspots.

I am not very technically minded so if anyone can let me know if I am doing something wrong this would be appreciated.

I am today also getting a pop up message from my security ESET saying blocked threat could that be the problem ?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Home Hotspot 600

I don't know how you have them connected, but you can't use 2 'sets' of hotspots. You can only connect the hub to one 'master' via Ethernet and then add 'slaves' as required. You can't have 2 'masters' connected to the hub.

0 Ratings
JANEVANS02
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

The instructions which came with unit say "you can expand your home network by adding more extenders to your existing kit"

plug your additional broadband extender directly into a wall socket

press the link button and that extender for 5 - 8 seconds wait for the power light to go back to steady green

press link button again for 1 second

within 2 minutes press link button on one of the broadband extenders already in your home for 1 second to complete connection.  I still wanted to make sure this was correct so rang BT help and they checked and said yes both the units in second Hotspot 600 would act as receivers, I am not technical which is why I rang to make sure I had not misunderstood but it is written in black and white and confirmed by a telephone conversation so cannot understand why it is not working.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

If you have just bought a second home Hotspot 600 kit, you will have one extra master (broadband extender flex)  and one extra slave device (hotspot) and only the slave can be used as a hotspot as far as I'm aware. What you need are extra hotspots rather than another kit. Hope that makes sense. See diagram below.

hotspot600.jpg

0 Ratings
JANEVANS02
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

What you have said makes perfect sense and is exactly what I thought which is why I was totally confused when  they told me if I add a second Hotspot set they would both automatically work as receivers which does not sound logical so not sure why they told me that !!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Unfortunately the 'helpdesk' are not very helpful.

0 Ratings