Hmmm, And searching back on there forums it's seems to have been an ongoing and unfixed issue since 2016.
And me too.
Being delivered SH2 while they try and work out what is broken.
I put in an official complaint. I was called by a very efficient lady in the technical department in Belfast, Northern Ireland. She agreed that the issues with Access Control Lists were known firmware issues. She also said they were unlikely to be fixed any time soon as the resource was working on new products. So she agreed to send me a SmartHub 2. This works perfectly. I have had no issues with ACLs since installing it. The only niggle is that you can only manage the Access Control Lists from the MyBT app on your phone. The function is disabled via the browser which i find annoying. But at the end of the day my problem is resolved
That may be interesting, I don't have a mobile phone.
I'm expecting to use a we console like the original HH1 through to my current and ACL broken HH6a
Just an update. The new hub came early (good sign) and it works perfectly. The WIFI signal is better and more importantly the Access problems are now addressed through the MyBT App on my phone. Also some new quick pause options which is great. Very satisfied