Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kodeck_Kid
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

BT Home Hub 6 Factory reset ??

Hi All,

Not sure if anyone else experienced this.

This morning I woke up and none of my wireless devices were connected to my BT Smart Hub.

Checked the Hub and the solid Blue light was there and no issues. carried out the usual troubleshooting steps: switching Off/On from the mains and checked phone line and filter, but nothing.

Used my computer to connect via RJ45 cable and internet was working all Good.

Launched BT Smart Hub Manager, settings were all good and wifi status ON and BUUUUUT... the WIFI SSDI "network name" somehow got reverted back to it's factory settings. After looking further, I found out that last night, my BT Smart Hub's Firmware updated itself. "Firmware updated: 17-Dec-2020".

Question: why on earth would this update reset my Hub to its factory settings.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Home Hub 6 Factory reset ??

As far as I am aware but could be completely wrong, the hub updates over write the software that is already installed on the hub so in effect becomes the new "factory" software and in doing so may not have retained any changes made  to the wireless network name.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

That is really strange.  I have had many hub variations and currently SH2 and never had an automatic firmware update reset my settings or change my SSID

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

@imjolly wrote:

That is really strange.  I have had many hub variations and currently SH2 and never had an automatic firmware update reset my settings or change my SSID

I agree, I have never had updates alter any settings but perhaps there is a glitch with that update.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

@gg30340 

I hope not otherwise forum will be inundated with posts about wifi devices not connecting 

@Kodeck_Kid 

can you post the firmware version please

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Kodeck_Kid
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Thanks all,

Did anyone received this firmware update last night?

v0.11.01.10191-BT - 17-Dec-2020

0 Ratings
Stompa
Contributor
Message 7 of 11

I had this firmware update early this morning, and seem to have suffered the same problems as the OP.

Namely my WiFi disappeared because the WiFi password got set back to the factory default. Also my 5GHz SSID got changed and lost it's "-5" suffix, so that it was identical to the 2.4GHz SSID. The hub password was also set back to the default.

Looking in my event log I can see:

00:18:40, 23 Dec.      Hub has activated against the device management system
00:18:40, 23 Dec.      Configuration file is corrupted, reset to default automatically

so I assume that the update somehow managed to corrupt the config file?

DavidM
Message 8 of 11

Hi @Kodeck_Kid and @Stompa,

Thanks for posting. Sorry the latest update has caused a few problems. I think it's worth taking a closer look at this so I've dropped you both a private message so you can get in touch.

Cheers

David

Wozza2409
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Hi has there been a fix for this ? I woke up this morning to all the WiFi discs red post a firmware router update it seems yesterday - this is hugely frustrating and given the current work from home situation not acceptable by BT ? All help most welcome.

many thanks 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

0 Ratings