cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cowshill
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

BT Home Hub Appears to be Spontaneously Resetting

I have a BT Hub 6A running firmware 14-Jun-2019 on BT Fibre network. For some while my network has periodically gone down for several minutes and then come back up. I had been assuming this to be an external problem of something like a weak connection somewhere between me and the BT cabinet. I had run and passed all the standard tests of line noise, etc suggested on the BT web site. BT has tested my connection and found no problems. There is no extension wiring in my house, only the master socket. I am running a brand new filter directly into the test socket.

I now believe that the hub is spontaneously resetting based on the fact (which I eventually realised) that when I lose the network my internal home network (which is all wifi) also goes down. In other words when my network goes down I can not connect to the hub from any of my computers and my various computers can not communicate. In contrast, if I simply disconnect the hub from the DSL filter to simulate an external network issue I lose the internet but my internal wifi network is still up. Screen sharing between two Macs continues to function normally, whereas this connection disappears during the type of periodic  network loss that I experience.

Additionally whenever the network does go down of it's own accord, it just stays down for about the amount of time it takes the hub to reset. So I have come to the conclusion that the problem is a defect in the hub which is periodically resetting itself, and the hub simply needs to be replaced by BT.

So my question is: is there anything further I can do to confirm that this is indeed the problem (something in the event log, perhaps?), and how do I go about convincing BT that they should send me a new hub? Thanks for any assistance!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Home Hub Appears to be Spontaneously Resetting

many customers find the hub resets automatically every 14 days and some find this happens at about 5/7 days but it always recovers and the speed is virtually same before drop as after reconnection   if you have this happening then it will not help by replacing the hub

I had the the resetting every 14 days for months then it just stopped and my hub now remains connected until I reset, get power cut or firmware update

post hub stats advanced settings then technical log information

also check logs and filter results for WAN and see how often resets occur

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
cowshill
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Thanks, imjolly. If this only happened once every week or two I wouldn't give it a second thought. But, while it may go several days without my noticing its having happened, at  times it will happen repeated over a relatively short period so as to make using the internet nearly impossible.

Well, when I went to post this the internet had gone down again (second time this morning). So I'll collect the latest log info to post!

Here's some info from the hub:

From Advanced Settings, Broadband, Internet:

Connection status
 Connection status:

Connected

Downstream:

80.00 Mbps

Upstream:

20.00 Mbps

Connection information
 Connection time:

0 Days, 0 Hours 19 Mins 1 Secs

Data usage:

2 MB Uploaded / 7 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

TCP/IP information
 Broadband IP address:

Default gateway:

Primary DNS:

Secondary DNS:

From Advance Settings, Technical Log, Information:

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084319+NQ63553485

Firmware version:

SG4B1000E016

Firmware updated:

14-Jun-2019

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 0 Hours 21 Minutes 0 Seconds

Data rate:

20.00 Mbps / 80.00 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

31752 / 109606

Noise margin:

15.4 dB / 11.9 dB

Line attenuation:

15.3 dB

Signal attenuation:

0 dB / 15.3 dB

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

2 MB Uploaded / 7 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

cowshill

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 1)

5 GHz wireless network name:

cowshill-5

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

88:A6:C6:23:71:5F

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

I can see connection time only 21min but the good news is that the drops in connection have so far had no effect on your connection speed which for that many drops is unusual

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
cowshill
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

I have gone the online route with BT chat help and the issue has been raised to Level 2 support.