Message 11 of 22

Re: BT Hub 6 Access Control Problem

I should have added that on the Mac I am using Mojave or OS 10.14.6
0 Ratings
docdelete
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 22

It's a different issue - but I agree. Choice of browser makes a difference, but what I experience is this: if I can get through to access control then the settings do stick, it's just that one device (the iPhone) throws everything out of whack. All other devices cause proper behaviour.

However, the BT Hub 6 front end does not play well with Chrome or Edge browsers on my Android phone, to stand a chance I have to force 'desktop view' and even then the UI stumbles and fails to refresh. It's bl**dy awful.

0 Ratings
timimpreza
Beginner
Message 13 of 22

I have exactly the same problem! This all started when i started using a wifi extender. Before that - no problems. 

Now on my second extender (now a bt one!) and boom, same bloody thing. Absolutely infuriating!

So i can have an extender or access controls. Not both. 

kierownikk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 22

My Smart Hub has been working fine for the past 2 years with wifi extenders ect and suddenly a couple of days ago it started randomly blocking wifi access for all devices. I have 3 devices added to access control but they get randomly replaced with other devices and internet access gets completely blocked at the same time. 
What happened? I really don't know, I didn't change any settings for months, I didn't add any new devices. It just started a few days ago and I just can't get it fixed. Every time my internet access gets blocked I need to go to my smart hub settings, access control, remove all devices and re-add the devices I want to be blocked, save settings. Then everything get's unblocked except the 3 added devices. However it will randomly stop working again, sometimes after an hour, few hours, next day. It's completely random.

docdelete
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 22

If you're a BT customer - any of you - I'd suggest flagging it as a technical support request. If enough do it they may be forced to issue an OTA patch for what is clearly a fault with the hub. I can't do this, as I'm using a second-hand hub with my Plusnet account. In other words, no-one will give me the time of day.

0 Ratings
jgl
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 22

I have also had the problem with all devices being turned off when a controlled device turns off.  I tried turning on and off access control for each device in rotation.  The full blocking of all devices happened when my son’s iPhone was blocked.  (The list of devices showed the iPhone by its IP address instead of its name.)

Solution - On my computer I turned on internet access for the iPhone, went to settings on the phone - wi-fi - choose my router and information button - turned off “Private Address”.  When I went back to my computer and turned the access control back on within a blocked time for the iPhone no longer were all other devices blocked.

0 Ratings
Snowman1950
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 22

I think the problem is with IP addressing which it seems is what the BT Access Control uses.    As far as I can see DHCP is allocating an IP address when the device connects to the router.   However when you come out that address is dropped and becomes 're-usable'.   For example a mobile phone.   When you leave the house your connection to the router is dropped and the IP is available for further allocation, so when you come home it's likely that when  your phone reconnects it will be allocated a different IP.    Same if you turn a device off and back on, or reboot the router.

I tried setting a fixed IP on devices where you can do that (e.g. PS4) but it's easy for the kids to turn that off, and if they turn their systems off then the router probably reassigns the IP anyway.   I think what is needed is for the access control process to work by using the devices' MAC address since that is fixed, but unless something has changed since I last tried to tie down specific devices, that doesn't happen.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 22

@Snowman1950 

I think you will find that it uses the MAC address, as that is how all of the home hubs implement it.

The problem with Apple stuff running IOS14, is that with private address enabled, the MAC address changes when it connects to a new wireless network. This defeats the access control settings, and the only workaround is to turn private addressing off.

For members of your family that you need to control access for, then this is not going to be easy, as they can simply turn private addressing back on again. Although I would expect that any family member who can afford Apple stuff, is probably old enough to not need to be controlled using access control.

0 Ratings
docdelete
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 22

Interesting, and something I can investigate if I can wrestle my son's phone out of his grasp. It won't help me though, he's on an iPhone 6 that isn't on anything near the current OS. And we still experience the hub problem = denying his device access to the internet denies all other devices too.

0 Ratings
kierownikk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 22

Here's a plot twist. 

I don't have a single apple device at home and the problem still occurs. 

0 Ratings