Hi all, We recently changed frm Sky to BT for our broadband and are finding the access control to be a problem. We have two teenagers and so want to restrict access to phones/laptops of an evening, but when i go to the advances settings and set the devices and times we want to block access it automatically blocks access to all devices in the house.
I have tried adding only the devices I wanted to block and have then added all devices but with different times and yet it still blocked the access to wifi throughout.....help pls.
***UPDATE ***I have just tried again and chose two devices to block, 1 ipad and 1 iphone - the ipad set for 9pm to 7am and the iphone blocked all day, the "access control" button is switched to YES and the "disable access to all devices" is ticked NO, but as soon as i save the changes it stops the access to wifi for my phone and laptop.
Hi Keith, thanks for the reply. I followed that guide originally and set up 3 devices, I only added the ones i wanted to have control over the access hours, all seemed ok until our other devices then couldnt connect to the internet.
It seemed to block every device trying to access the wifi even though i hadnt added them to the list.
I then tried adding every device and set 15 minute block at midnight thinking maybe that might work, but i couldnt get wifi until i turned off the access control function fully. 😞
Perhaps another forum member who uses a BT Home Hub 6 can help, as I use a third party router?
I was wondering if you had to build an access profile for every device, as once you turn access control on, any device which does not have a profile, would be disabled?
Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I'm experiencing something similar - there's only one device I wish to block between 11pm and 7am (my son's iphone) and setting up a control /for just this device/ throws everything else off the network at 11pm.
I even stumbled across the same thought as you - set up a little control for each device, say 4am, to cut off for 15 mins only - in order to give a defined rule to everything. This seemed to work for about 60 seconds then it didn't.
Last night I discovered I can block any other device and it all works well - but if try to block the iphone that's when trouble starts for all devices.
I see there was an OTA update to the hub on 23/10/2019 and I do wonder if BT has broken access controls somehow.
Yep, I can take the phone off him. But access control was a major decider in getting this package, and now it doesn't work.
I see that this is a problem experienced by a number of other people, but BT clearly don't have a fix for it since I've just had exactly the same issue. I tried to stop my sons using the internet into the early hours, but it seems to affect other devices. I've therefore, like others had to turn access control off completely. I did wonder if it was DHCP allocating another IP address, but the IP on my phone definitely was not on the list.
So, since this is part of the service advertised, I assume that BT will be fixing it soon? I see that it's 9 months since the problem was reported so I would expect that there would be a fix by now?
I don’t see any one mentioning what platform and browser they are using. I have different problems with Access Control but this happens when I use Safari browser on a Mac but not when I use another browser or an iPad (using IOS version of Safari)
So I am thinking, at least from my problems, that there is a compatibility problem between BT Hub 6 software and Safari.
My problem is that on my iMac with Safari I cannot save changes I make to the schedules, whereas when I use my iPad the changes are quickly and correctly saved. Also on the Mac sometimes the device name will not show but again all is correct when using my iPad.
BT or Mac problem I do not know, but both BT and Safari have poor IT reputations and other apparent incompatibilities.