cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

BT Hub 6A 5GHz channel range

Hello,

I seem to have an issue with the range of the 5GHz channel on my SmartHub 6A that's only started in the past couple of days.

I have separated out the 2.4 and 5GHz channels, and previously have had no issues with devices connecting to the 5GHz channel. However, a couple of days ago I noticed that my devices were no longer connected to the WiFi. I tried resetting the hub, tried using different WiFi modes and channels for the 5GHz channel, but the devices still weren't connecting. I've found that if I'm right next to the router, the devices connect with no issue (this is true for multiple devices, i.e. phone and laptop) and the internet connection works, however as soon as I move away from the router (even just a few steps) I'm no longer able to connect to the 5GHz channel.

There is no issue with the 2.4GHz channel, only the 5GHz channel.

Has anyone else encountered this issue, or is it possible that the hub itself has developed a fault?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Hub 6A 5GHz channel range

@Antholex 

Its quite possible that either the internal 5GHz wireless module has developed a fault, or the internal aerial connection to the module has become disconnected, possible a bad soldered internal link.

If you have tried removing the power from the home hub for a short while, and also tried a full factory reset of the home hub, then you will have to ask BT to swap it out with another one.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the reply @Keith_Beddoe!

I've not tried a full factory reset of the hub, so I'll give that a whirl and see if it resolves the issue; if not I guess a call to BT will be needed!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Hi @Antholex, post back and let us know if the factory reset helps. You can do that by pressing the recessed button on the back with something pointy for about 20 seconds. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Hi @NeilO, the factory reset seems to have done the trick - I've managed to get devices connecting to the 5hz channel and they're staying connected, so hopefully the issue won't crop up again!

0 Ratings