cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

BT Hybrid Connect

Go to solution

Looking at BT broadband with the Hybrid Connect 4G backup. Question relates to what happens to a static IP address when the landline drops & the 4G connection kicks in - does the static IP address get assigned to the 4G connection to allow services that rely on it to continue working (this is for an IP phone installation).

Thanks!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Hybrid Connect

Go to solution

@neilsherry 

When you mention an IP phone installation, I assume this is for a residential installation?

As the hybrid connect links back to the smart hub 2, then the DHCP server in the smart hub that would assign the IP address as normal.

If this is a business connection and you are referring to BT 4G Assure, then the situation may be different.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

This is actually a BT Business set up.

The incoming calls rely on the static IP address of our broadband connection to find our office - but (I am assuming) when the landline drops and the connection is taken up by the 4G connection, a different IP address will come into force and the incoming calls won't reach us.

The same would be true, I think, for any service that is relying on a static IP address for routing - UNLESS BT have done something clever with the allocation of IP addresses.

So, my question remains: will the static IP address somehow get transferred over, or will the 4G backup be of no use in keeping the IP phone connections running? Surely we aren't the first to want to know this?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@neilsherry wrote:

This is actually a BT Business set up.

Then you are asking on the wrong forum. This is the BT Residential Customer Forum, so nobody here would be able to help. I think the product is called BT 4G Business Assure.

https://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/categories/guide/view/45357/c/5455

Its only BT Business customers that are offered a static IP address.

Try asking on the BT Business Forum.

https://business.forums.bt.com/

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Sorry, deleted. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

OK, thanks for that - now asked on Business