cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marpig
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

BT Mini Connector Issue

My BT TV box is connected to my Smart Hub via new mini connectors.

After installation, they worked fine for the first few weeks, but since then we have experienced intermittent break up of SD internet channels and total loss of the HD internet channels.

The lights on the connectors always remain blue.

If we unplug and replug the connectors the problem is resolved - until the tv box has been off, (on stand by),  for a period, (say overnight), and then the issue resurfaces when switched back on.

The same applies if we perform a reset by holding in the ‘add’ button for 15+ seconds, or remove and replug the cabling - we only get a short lived fix.

For over 3 years we ran with BT Flex 500s in the same sockets with no issue like this - so I’m not sure it’s the house wiring. Nothing has changed in the house in this time either.

The reason for the swap was that we had recently started to experience buffering on some Amazon Prime TV programs - with a message “insufficient bandwidth”, and occasionally buffering on iPlayer.

I spoke to BT about this, and they sent me the mini connectors as a potential fix.

However, these are much worse... as now regular tv (as opposed to only on demand) is unwatchable.

As the mini connectors worked for the first few weeks, I foolishly disposed of the old Flex 500s as I assumed they were indeed the issue - so I can’t just swap back now. 🙄

I spoke to BT and they are now looking at my line speed... we are getting 40mbps, and my stayfast guarantee minimum is 44mbps, (we used to always get 50+ so something has slowed a bit)... but I am not sure this is the issue either though - as that should easily be good enough for tv.

Does anyone have any ideas what the issue could be here, and suggest potential fixes please?

All help gratefully received.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
lnajr02
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Mini Connector Issue

Its possible that you have noise on the power , fridge motor or something like a heating pump. if you test internet speed, using a laptop, or PC from :
1. The HUB
2. With the 1st and 2nd extender connected in the same room
3. With the 2nd located in the proffered location
You should see if its the house wiring or plug performance.

Also have you any other powerline device connected in the home , then disconnect them, they don't all work together.
0 Ratings
lnajr02
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

Sorry I should also say that you said "However, these are much worse... as now regular tv (as opposed to only on demand) is unwatchable." this sounds like its your TV aerial, the Youview boxes require a good CH4 signal, this could effect the download I think if lost.
0 Ratings
Marpig
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Hi Inajr02,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.

I will try using wired laptop speed tests at the different sockets as you suggested - to see whether there is a wiring issue.

Re. The loss of channels - I was only referring to internet based channels, all my terrestrial channels remain ok. 

Thanks again for your suggestions.

0 Ratings
Marpig
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Ok - I have speed tested both socket ends of the mini connectors with Ethernets wired  into my laptop - and speeds are consistently 30-40mbps.

This morning my internet HD channels were missing and SD internet channels breaking up again. A reset of the mini connectors, and these channels are back up and watchable again?

Perhaps the connectors are just faulty? Just weird that it seems to be over a period of inactivity - I get the issue again, but they are fine just after a reset.

My smart tv is also wired to the mini connector - and this morning had a YouView error message... so I’m guessing this could be related to the broadband connection too.

0 Ratings