cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BT - Mini Home Hotspot 600 WiFi Powerline Adapter Kit

I have a BT Hotspot 600 WiFi Powerline kit for a few years and have had no issues, recently security camera's stopped working. when I pinged the devices the network stated it could not find them. I assumed the Powerline devices were going faulty as I had no previous issues. 

I purchased a replacement BT - Mini Home Hotspot 600 WiFi Powerline Adapter Kit - Triple Pack and exactly the same issue is occurring the network runs fine for a few hours then devices stop connecting. It is not limited to the wifi as I also have Raspberry Pi's, a NAS and a couple of other devices hard wired via the ethernet port. 

My question is has anyone else found this eg the devices for for a while then stop, A reset can be done  by unplugging the main plug (the one connected to the router, and plugging it back in 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT - Mini Home Hotspot 600 WiFi Powerline Adapter Kit

@Paul20 

Are you using a BT Home Hub as your router?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 8

Make sure all three units are plugged directly into the ring main, i.e. no extension leads and definitley no surge suppression 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Yes a BT smart Hub 2 the previous Hub was a BT Hub 4 and no issues until about two weeks ago

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

No extension leads just in to the ring main, this is stated in the instructions. As I say no issue with the units until recently (past two weeks) original units worked fine. I have been away for a week the devices the power line adapters are connected to stopped working a day after I was away. when I checked on the home hub management interface, the power line adapters were greyed out. I have unplugged the three units and plugged them back in all is now working, but as previous and the Home hub management interface now show the power line adapters as green (working)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

@Paul20 wrote:

Yes a BT smart Hub 2 the previous Hub was a BT Hub 4 and no issues until about two weeks ago

Try a factory reset of the home hub.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/%7E/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-hub-to-its-factory-set...

Then turn off smart setup.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

The hub`s internal connection table can get full, and the only way to clear it, is with a factory reset.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

I am expecting the Powerline to start dropping out again tomorrow, I will give the reset a go then 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Hello to all of you that replied, I thought rather than re-booting or re-setting I would look at the logs within the router as they do reveal activity one thing I found was DoS(SYN  messages witch appear to be a Denial of service flood attack ! 

I disconnect all my devices from the network shut them down and re started them, I did not re-start the router or power line hubs.

To date I have not had any issues so either it was a device on my network causing the issue or I had an actual  external attack, I suspect it was an internal device but only time will tell.

So once again thank you for your help and hope my feedback helps, will let you know if anything happens again

0 Ratings