Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richie58
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

BT Mini Hub Versus Flex 500 Extender

Hi

I am on Infinity 2 and have BT TV. I have HD Extra and view in my Living Room using a Flex 500 Extender connected to my You View Box which is quite a distance from my master socket which is the opposite side of the house. Up to now this has worked o.k. but more recently I have been getting picture droppage around every 30 minutes which obviously is not ideal.

I have the latest Smart Hub 6 and am getting speeds of around 60 Mbps and as I have had the Flex 500 Adaptor for around 4 years now, long before I upgraded to Infinity, I was enquiring as to whether the new Mini Hub would help with reducing the picture drop out as it has been designed to work with the Smart Hub 6. I live in a fairly new house and as I have had all my sockets previously checked by a BT Engineer I know the problem is not due to the house electrics. I suppose I could give the new Mini Hub a try but it would be useful to hear from any Community Members who could give me any further information or help on this based on their own experiences. Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Mini Hub Versus Flex 500 Extender

AFAIK, either type of extender is largely transparent to the hub. I would guess there is no co-design going on with Mini Hub and Smart Hub, but would be pleasantly surprised if wrong.

Do you have your previous hub? It'd be interesting to see if the droppage occurs there also. If it does, then perhaps it's an age related issue with the Flex 500 hardware (e.g. capacitor gone bad). If not, then it'd point to a glitch with the Smart Hub. There seem to be a fair few issues with Smart Hubs at present, but I've not seen one that matches what you're seeing.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Have you checked to see if it is the hub that is dropping out. Blaming the extenders could be a red herring. Do there connected devices also lose connection at the same time as when the TV problem happens.

0 Ratings
Richie58
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Hi flamethrower Thanks for your comments. I will give my previous Home Hub 5 a try again but I have a feeling BT de-activated it when I bought the new Smart Hub 6. I think I may just bite the bullet and get a new Mini Hub Kit anyway to replace my Flex 500. At least then I know there is nothing further I can do apart from getting the master socket re-located to my Living Room.

0 Ratings
Richie58
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Hi 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

BT will not have deactivated your HH5.