cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joewightman
Beginner
Message 1 of 44

BT Mini Whole Home DNS requests for Microsoft, Google and Apple every second

I have purchased a pair of BT Mini Whole Home Discs for at home.  I use Pi Hole as a DNS server and I have noticed that every second, both discs are requesting a DNS lookup for "microsoft.com."  If I blacklist this, it then tries "apple.com" and then finally, "google.com."

At this rate, these DNS lookups account for about 90% of the load on my DNS server but I cannot for the life of me work out why they occur.  It got to a point yesterday where Google blocked my WAN IP for suspicious network activity (we are talking 172000 requests in a day).

I could perhaps understand the discs checking internet connectivity every now and then by pinging a well known URL but every second is not necessary and is causing issues when accessing google hosted services.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Joe

43 REPLIES 43
Darren_B
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 2 of 44

Re: BT Mini Whole Home DNS requests for Microsoft, Google and Apple every second

Hi Joe,

This is a known issue, and it will be resolved in the next firmware release for the BT Mini WHW - unfortunately, I don't yet have a committed/known date for the release of this version.

Many thanks

Darren_B

joewightman
Beginner
Message 3 of 44

Re: BT Mini Whole Home DNS requests for Microsoft, Google and Apple every second

That was a really quick reply. For the time being I’ve changed the DNS settings so the requests don’t load up my own server or use Google DNS.

Thanks,

Joe

Darren_B
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 4 of 44

You're most welcome.

You are right in your reason for the request.  The discs are indeed checking their Internet connection status, but it shouldn't be this frequent.

I'll do my upmost to remember to reply to this thread when the new firmware is available.

Darren_B 

branes
Beginner
Message 5 of 44

I've got the same issue - suddenly a couple of hours ago my BT Mini WHs started merrily pinging www.microsoft.com constantly.

Firmware 1.0.19. Is the fix due? It's been 4 months since this thread was started.

Darren_B
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 6 of 44

Hi branes,

There is a new firmware in the pipeline for the Mini Whole Home Wi-Fi, but it's release date is not yet known.  The next version of the firmware includes some exciting new features for the Mini, which is why it's taking longer than normal for this to be released.

Please keep an eye on these forums, as we'll announce here as soon as we have more solid information and how to get the new firmware.

Thanks

Darren_B

daniel114
Beginner
Message 7 of 44

Hello, can I get an update on when this firmware is being released please, can you not prioritise a quick fix? This bug makes monitoring network traffic a nightmare

branes
Beginner
Message 8 of 44

Bump...any action on this? Nearly a year now.

GavDroid
Beginner
Message 9 of 44

Hello,

I just bought these and I'm strongly considering returning them because of this issue... So I'm also looking for an update or an ETA. It's worrying that there hasn't even been a tiny hotfix patch for this (or any) issue over the course of the entire year. Are the minis completely abandoned in terms of firmware support?

You can see here where I installed each device, by how much the requests on my network has jumped, as each of the three disks hit microsoft.com every second:

20210101_132239.jpg

Any movement on this, @Darren_B?

Thanks 

kibrisli7
Beginner
Message 10 of 44

Hi Darren,

Thank you for acknowledging the problem.

It's now been a year though since the initial query was submitted and I was wondering if we were any closer to finding a solution?

Kind regards