Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonnyollet
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

BT Mini Whole WiFi - Ethernet Backhaul Setup

Hi guys,

What is the best way to set up the ethernet backhaul for the BTMWW?

I initially set three discs using the WPS/WiFi backhaul, and all three show as Connceted in the app.

When I connect the second disc to the ethernet, the app shows the disc as disconnected and red. However, the blue light is still on the disc itself. Is this an issue with the app?

I am using the VM Hub 3.0 with the WiFi tunred off. It is still in Router mode, with the following connections:
Port 1: BT disc 1
Port 2: BT disc 2
Port 3: VM Tivo box
Port 4: Smart TV

Should I be using the Hub 3.0 in Modem mode? Or will this disable the three remaining ports?

Thanks,

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: BT Mini Whole WiFi - Ethernet Backhaul Setup

@jonnyollet 

You may be best asking for advice on the VM user forum.

0 Ratings
jonnyollet
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

I got the Virgin part sorted.

The problem I am having is with connecting the second disc to ethernet and the red light showing.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

@jonnyollet 

You may have to wait for a reply from one of the BT Device experts, as you may appreciate, its mainly BT Broadband customers posting here.

0 Ratings
lucklylemon
Beginner
Message 5 of 17

I have same question - has anybody resolved how to set up BT Wifi Mini with backhaul ethernet, so it acts as a mesh and not individual hotspots showing blue light?

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 6 of 17

@lucklylemonwrote:

I have same question - has anybody resolved how to set up BT Wifi Mini with backhaul ethernet, so it acts as a mesh and not individual hotspots showing blue light?

You've lost me now. Wholehome is a Mesh WiFi product, each disk has the same SSID and hands off from one disk to another as you move around your property. That's how Mesh works, or am I missing something?

0 Ratings
lucklylemon
Beginner
Message 7 of 17

I think you are right, they act as mesh, but I still have wiered app behaviour explained above - I will try to explain, bear with me...
0. All disks are connected via ethernet to one Vodafone router
1. Reset all three risks, which gives them all SSId "BtWholeHome-XXX"
2. Turn off two slave disks
3. Setup main disk 1, get him recognised in the app as "Disk 1"
4. Turn on Disk 2, whait till it solid blue. After that I can't add it in the app - i tried WPS/flashing green option, just search for new disk, etc. All options ends up with "Unable to detect disk".
5. Same for Disk 3

Still after that I have three disks showing blue light and I believe they talk to each other, because if I change network name - it changes for all three of them.

But I can't see Disks 2 and 3 in the app, not able to see devices connected to them, etc.
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 8 of 17

@lucklylemonwrote:
I think you are right, they act as mesh, but I still have wiered app behaviour explained above - I will try to explain, bear with me...
0. All disks are connected via ethernet to one Vodafone router
1. Reset all three risks, which gives them all SSId "BtWholeHome-XXX"
2. Turn off two slave disks
3. Setup main disk 1, get him recognised in the app as "Disk 1"
4. Turn on Disk 2, whait till it solid blue. After that I can't add it in the app - i tried WPS/flashing green option, just search for new disk, etc. All options ends up with "Unable to detect disk".
5. Same for Disk 3

Still after that I have three disks showing blue light and I believe they talk to each other, because if I change network name - it changes for all three of them.

But I can't see Disks 2 and 3 in the app, not able to see devices connected to them, etc.

So what happens as it should be used i.e. connect the master disk to the router, disable WiFi on router then just add the othe disks without Ethernet? I suspect you can't see the other disks in the Wholehome app because your router is recognising them as Ethernet connectted devices not WiFi.

0 Ratings
lucklylemon
Beginner
Message 9 of 17

I tried this one as well - paired them all one by one via wifi with only main disk connected via ethernet. In this case it is all fine I can see them all in the app. 

But I want them to be connected via backhaul ethernet and once I plug them to ethernet, they go invisible in the app. Which is not what I want.

0 Ratings
jonnyollet
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

I never got the ethernet backhaul working and in the end just left it wireless.

When I connected more than one disc via ethernet, the switching from disc to disc was quite laggy. In the app, it showed as two different networks, albeit with the same name.

When only one disc connected, then the switching was much smoother.

0 Ratings