Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mrmotion1
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

BT Mini Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Kit issue

Go to solution

Hi,

I bought the BT Mini Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Kit but I can't get it to connect to any of my devices.

The broadband extender is connected into a wall socket next to the Router (Home Hub 5) and connected to the router with the ethernet cable provided. The mini Wi-fi home hotspot is plugged into the wall in the room I need it.

According to the instructions it should just plug in and work but none of my devices connect. I've tried Iphone5, Ipad, Advent laptop, PS4, Nokia smartphone, Samsung smartphone. 

The hotspot's SSID shows as an available network but once the password is entered (taken from the card at the back of the hotpsot) it says that it is unable to connect.

When I go to bthomehub.home and view the home network the broadband extender doesn't show as a connected device, even though it is plugged in to the homehub with the ethernet cable.

Can anybody help me get connected to the home hotspot?

Thanks

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Mini Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Kit issue

Go to solution

have you paired the powerline adapters so they see each other?  usually plug both into socket then press button on both so the can 'pair' or see each other

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Mrmotion1
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply,

Just tried this and still no luck. My laptop can see that the network is available but it just won't connect.

Any further suggestions?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Have you tried to connect via Ethernet cable to make sure that it is connecting OK to the Homehub?

Have you tried doing a factory reset on adaptors and then reconnecting.

See User Guide

http://btsupport.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/3264708/1379075698/redirect/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xN...

0 Ratings
Mrmotion1
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Ahhhhhh, I think I've sorted it, It was plugged into a socket in the extension to the house, I've moved it into a room in the orginal house and it's working. Taken me a week to think of doing that Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Your electricity must have two ring mains, one for the house and one for the extension. Powerline adaptors can work on that provided the ring goes through the same consumer unit.  

0 Ratings
ceydmann
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution
well ill score you a 10 as you have just sorted my 500 kit out
THANKX
0 Ratings
ottiew
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Hi, I am about to buy one of these but I have the same problem - 2 electricity rings. The HomeHub is pluged into the ring in the old part of the house and the mini hub is to boost signal in new extension on another ring. I am not at all technical so please could you clarify if this will work?! I didn't understand the bit about consumer units!

Thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

It might work. It will depend on how the two ring mains have been wired up. If they have separate consumer units (fuse boxes) the adaptors will probably not work.

If they are going through the same consumer unit they should work OK.

0 Ratings
ottiew
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

I was hoping you would reply as you seem to be the person who knows more than BT!

I have 1 meter but 2 fuse boxes....

If this won't work, do you have any suggestions.

Thank you in advance for your help and quick reply Smiley Happy

0 Ratings