cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DCAI
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

BT Premier Phone - Remotely switching answerphone on

I have BT Broadband + BT Mobile and have recently bought new BT Premier phones.

My BT Premier Phones are all up & working, Remote Access + Access Code have been set up and I can successfully retrieve messages using either my BT Mobile using my new access code.

My problem is the scenario where I am away from home and need to remotely switch my BT Premier Phone on.

The User Guide states "Call your number... After 20 rings the machine will switch in...".

My problem is my BT Mobile iPhone drops the call after just 13 rings ? 

I have switched off both WiFi and Bluetooth to ensure my call goes over the BT Mobile network, but I still cannot hold the call long enough to switch my BT Premier Phone's answerphone ON remotely ? I suspect the issue is BT Mobile / EE related ?

Any suggestions or ideas of what I might have overlooked ? 

Difficult to imagine no triallists were using BT Mobile when the Premier Phone was under trial ?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
lnajr02
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Premier Phone - Remotely switching answerphone on

If it's a work around just ask a family member to call for you ..
0 Ratings
DCAI
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Thank you - That is a good suggestion, but our household family are on BT Mobile too unfortunately !
Having bought the Premier Phone to use its remote features, I am hoping I have missed something obvious !
0 Ratings
lnajr02
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 11

If ANS was on then you could access , but email the helpdesk on deviceshelpdesk@bt.com. Ask for some advice.
0 Ratings
DCAI
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Thanks again - now emailed as suggested

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 6 of 11

Thanks for lending a hand here @Inajr20.

@DCAI, can you post back when you get a response to your email and let us know how you get on?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
DCAI
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Will do @DavidM
0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 8 of 11

👍

0 Ratings
DCAI
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

I am still having discussions with deviceshelpdesk@bt.com over this issue.

The answerphone of the BT Premier Phone can be remotely activated / deactivated by dialling in and waiting 20 rings, after which the answerphone kicks in allowing access via * followed via a private PIN code.

Away from home this feature works perfectly OK when calling from another BT landline / Sky Mobile / O2 Mobile.

However, our own mobiles are connected to BT Mobile, and they consistently disconnect after 13 rings of a “Ring Tone No Reply”. Some way short of the required 20 rings.

0 Ratings
DCAI
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

OK. After extensive discussions with both deviceshelpdesk@bt.com and BT Mobile technical support, I have reached an impasse, which neither second line team seems able to address.

At root is the ability to remotely call in & switch on the answerphones associated with the current BT TrueCall product range. We cannot yet get this to work when the call is made over the BT Mobile network, which astounds me.

The reason ?

• BT's Mobile network drop outgoing calls after 13 rings on a “Ring Tone No Reply”. 
  • BT's current answerphone product range only allows login + PIN code access to settings after 20 rings.

The impact of this affects the BT Advanced / BT Premier / BT 4600 / BT 6500 / BT 8500 products (& others) when calling from a BT Mobile phone.

However, the facility works fine from another BT landline or over Sky Mobile / O2 Mobile, which raises other questions. Away from home, attempting this from a payphone is no longer an option.

BT Mobile do have a facility to extend the ring time duration on an incoming call [xx61x<mobile>x11x30#], but Technical Support have not found one to extend the outgoing RTNR duration before forced call release.

The only option which seems open now (other than changing mobile provider) is to flag this mismatch to development / BT product compatibility level to make them aware. Anyone have relevant contacts at high level ?

There appears no scope for any direct intercommunication / investigation between the teams above.  Stunned nobody appears aware of this ?

There is no warning caveat in any of the User Guides either, which still makes me wonder if something has been missed ?

Everything else works absolutely fine. 

0 Ratings