Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stewp
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

BT Premium AX3700

Hi,

Is there any info about this product? I was just about to pull the trigger on three BT Whole Home WiFi, bit saw a listing for this product arriving this month.

Are there any specs or info about these? I am guessing that AX in the branding refers to the new WiFi 6 standard?

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: BT Premium AX3700

They are listed as tri-band and almost certainly have 802.11ax (Wifi 6) support due to the name.  Quite a bit more expensive than the current Whole Home Wifi though - £270 for three or £120 for an additional unit.  I will be interested to see how they perform as I have upgraded some of my laptops with the new Intel AX200 Wifi 6 wireless card.

ax3700.jfif

0 Ratings
lnajr02
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 15

My understanding is the type of Whole Home Discs Can't be mixed, you have to have one type only.

The product is showing on some web sites but its not available yet.

I believe the BT Premium AX3700 discs uses the Tri-Band wireless technology for the backhaul connections between discs but not between disc and device yet.
I would wait for some tech reviews to be published before purchasing.

0 Ratings
djtayla
Message 4 of 15

I too was just about to purchase a Mesh (whole home) setup and these look interesting - AX protocol SHOULD future proof these (even compared to the current ORBI or Veloop products - and when either of them do upgrade to AX then I am sure their pricing will be even higher again... )

I see that Amazon and Argos are both listing the AX3700 3 disc package for sale - but neither offer any insight as to when the product is actually in stock and ready for delivery  (Amazon suggests 1-3 months - but looks like a standard message rather than an actual planned date...).

Question is - do I wait for these - or do I buy an ORBI system now ? 

0 Ratings
lnajr02
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 15

I would wait the new standard, still has to be proven for me. It really depends on your home and what you require to run across your home network. (I would wait for some independent reviews) the ORBI system look expensive to me, remember your connection will only be as fast as the incoming broadband speed.
0 Ratings
djtayla
Message 6 of 15

I tend to agree - be good to read reviews to understand how they perform, but at the same time, I have a problem I need to fix right now and I don't want to buy hardware that is almost immediately superceeded by a better model... that is just annoying - if the release date is not for another 6 months - then that is different to knowing they might be out (reviewed and available) in a week or so.

I take your point about the incoming speeds, most of the quoted transfer speeds are well in excess of typical incoming internet speeds - and yes this is true for streaming content from the internet. I also have a media server and NAS devices with (high definition) content that is streamed to multiple devices (ipad, TV, Speakers) so overall speed, and capability to handle multiple steams is of interest to me as well.  I currently have re-purposed a number of hubs and routers to stretch wi-fi across the house (3 floors and back extension) and whilst it works - it just needs quite a bit of admin and care from time to time, with devices being reset and so on - it's fine when I am there - but I now tend to be away with work quite a bit and so when it has issues - I'm not able to manage it when I am not there...  implementing a mesh (with purpose built management software/application) just seems to be the right thing to do.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

On the official BT store, it lists these for pre-order and released on October 1st

0 Ratings
djtayla
Message 8 of 15

October 1st Today - Sill no sign that these are available... 

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 15

Robert Dyas now have these in stock on their website.  Two discs £230 and three discs £300.

0 Ratings
lnajr02
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 15

sorry they don't

0 Ratings