cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

BT Premium Phone - Answer Phone Problem (doesn't disconnect)

Go to solution

Hi

I have an annoying problem with my answer phone. (I have the BT Premium Triple Handset Pack.) When a person leaves a message the answer phone doesn't disconnect. This means that only one person can ever leave a message. The only way to clear the line is to switch the power to the base unit off. It then re-synchronises with the handsets. (Once the power comes back on the time and date are wrong, but after a few minutes it then displays the correct time again.) The call blocking works really well but this issue is a pain. I've seen elsewhere that it may be that the caller's supplier hasn't sent the signal to disconnect when they hand up. Surely there must be a way round this? An answer phone that doesn't work is very inconvenient. Thanks in advance for any advice.

John

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT Premium Phone - Answer Phone Problem (doesn't disconnect)

Go to solution

@JohnBobin 

Who provides your phone service?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

BT. (They also supply my Broadband.)

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

@JohnBobin wrote:

BT. (They also supply my Broadband.)

That would seem to indicate an issue with the exchange equipment.

Does NU (number unobtainable) tone appear when the caller clears down?

Does it happen on every person that leaves a message?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

When this happens, there is no NU tone. The handset says "Fred Bloggs leaving msge" and a circular icon (with an R in the middle) goes round and round until you pull the plug on the base unit. It won't clear down any other way.  However, I just phoned my landline number from my Vodafone mobile, left a message and it disconnected perfectly. Somebody else tested it with a Tesco mobile and that worked too.     

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

@JohnBobin wrote:

When this happens, there is no NU tone. The handset says "Fred Bloggs leaving msge" and a circular icon (with an R in the middle) goes round and round until you pull the plug on the base unit. It won't clear down any other way.  However, I just phoned my landline number from my Vodafone mobile, left a message and it disconnected perfectly. Somebody else tested it with a Tesco mobile and that worked too.     

Then the problem is with the calling party exchange equipment not sending a "clear" condition.

Do you know who is the provider of the person who`s incoming calls never clear?

There was a very similar post on this thread, but in this case the customer was on a different provider.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Problem-with-answer-phone-on-BT-Premium-Phone/m-p/2128915#M7507...

If it was doing it every time, then I would suggest a fault on the line card in the BT Exchange, assuming you are on a normal copper phone line connection.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks Keith

I will keep a log of which callers cause this problem and ask them who they use for phone services.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

@JohnBobin 

Have you identified the issue yet?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution
Hi Keith
The problem doesn't seem to happen so often now. However, I think your comments above hit the nail on the head.
Thanks
John
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

@JohnBobin wrote:
Hi Keith
The problem doesn't seem to happen so often now. However, I think your comments above hit the nail on the head.
Thanks
John

Thanks for the update 😀

0 Ratings