cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 10

BT Premium Whole Home - Ethernet Backhaul disconnects

2 Disk Premium Whole Home - connected to Virgin Hub 3.0 (the VH with wifi disabled), 2nd BT disk connected to the 1st  via ethernet backhaul. Firmware SGAB204002.

The 2nd hub connected with ethernet loses connectivity about 1-3 hours. The BT WH app reports that device is not connected to the network (any part of the network inc 1st disk), and advices troubleshooting, effectively mean a full system reset.

When connected via wifi backhaul - system stays stable.

It's infuriating - for what is a basic 100% standard setup. I see similar threads on this forum, but no clear solutions. Any ideas welcome - as this feels like a beta product, not a Premium solution. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Premium Whole Home - Ethernet Backhaul disconnects

I am also having many issues with the Ethernet backhaul, we keep getting promised that a firmware update will be available soon but unfortunately we still have yet to see it.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

i have a similar issue.

The ethernet connected disc to the vigin 3 hub  loses internet connectivity every hour or two. I reset the wired disc all is then ok after the couple of minutes - until the next time.

Ive swapped the thernet cable, turned off the virgin wifi swapped around the wired dic. Still the same problem

I bought a 4 disc set up two weeks back and feel it's not fit for purpose.

Any help very much appreciated

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

i'm new to this forum.

how do we get a response from BT?

They've sold us something that doesn't work for more than one hour a t ime.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 10

Latest update.

You can reach out to BT support - the number is within the app. Whilst helpful and responsive, the changes they suggested didn't fix the root issue.

An additional issue had come up, whereby all devices would only connect to 1 disk. This was solved by disabling legacy steering, and switching some channels around (advice from BT provided there and then).

However the ability for the mesh network to stay available remains elusive. System reset required every 12-48 hours. I've debated putting a timer on the plug to auto reboot the devices periodically - but this just seems ridiculous for a device billed as Premium.

So - unfortunately and after huge effort, these devices will be returned for a full refund. It's a shame - as for a brief period when the network is up, they perform really well.

I hope the rest of you have better luck - or that one of the firmware upgrades I see discussed on this forum going back to January actually work

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 10

I have the issue you mention regarding the system only connecting to a single ethernet disk (usually the last one down the line) and reported it weeks ago. how did you fix it exactly?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

I didn't fix it.

I sent back the BT  premium 4 discs for a refund and have bought the eero pro 3 disc set instead. Same price-ish.  tri-band. The virgin hub is set up as a modem now not a router.  Arrived today and is very easy to set up.  Coverage seems good. $ hours in - no drop out.

Will wait until  end of week when it has been tested with simultaneous networked games (son) , zoom (wife), teams (me) and some streamed video (daughter) to see if it stays up  24 x 7.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 10

Cool, let me know how it goes as I still have until July before I need to either keep mine or send them back. At the moment I will be sending them back.

This whole product release has been a complete disaster imo. Shame.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

I have the latest firmware. BT tech support were very quick to propose 'do want to return them for a full refund'. I said 'yes' they picked them up 24 hours later.

Product not fit for purpose - Excellent customer service.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

no drops on eero