cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

BT Smart Hub 2 Band frequency seperation

So I think I am going to have to give up with BT smart hub 2.

I have opened a complaint three time and its still not resolved. I am having constant issues with the Smart Hub 2 and not being able to set up separate usernames and passwords for both 2.4 and 5 ghz frequency Bands. I simply want to control which frequency my devices content too. I live in a small flat and have perfect coverage everywhere, however because I cannot control which frequency my devices connect to, I get a slow internet speed on both my laptop and my Desktop because the they will automatically connect to the 2.4 frequency and not the 5ghz band. When I had my previous router which I could control, I did not have this issue. The only workaround I have is to temporarily switch off 2.4 ghz band to force the computers to connect through the faster 5 ghz frequency and then switch 2.4 back on again when I'm finished downloading (so that all my devices which do connect through 2.4only can reconnect to the internet).

The decision by BT to not allow you to setup 2 separate network names and passwords is simply ridiculous. And don't get me started on the issues I am having with devices recognising each other on the current automated network - this despite having the latest firmware that was supposed to have sorted this problem.

Looks like I am going to have to buy a new router and switch the BT hub  Wi-Fi off. 

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 Band frequency seperation

The inability to split the networks has been raised many times but BT maintain the status quo as it is needed for the disc mesh system so if you need to have separate 2.4/5ghz networks then you need were party router or an older hh6

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 Band frequency seperation

I would get one or more wireless access points and turn the BT Wi-fi off. I use a repurposed router for this. 

0 Ratings