cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NigelM
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

BT Smart Hub 2 Dual band seperation

Does anyone know or can BT themselves say if the BT Smart Hub 2 will get a firmware update so you can split the 2.4ghz & 5ghz Band Wi-fi SSID's like the previous hubs?  It's giving me so many problems with devices.  I wan't some devices to only use the 5ghz band and others the 2.4Ghz band. Devices changing bands automatically when streaming music to wireless speakers causes all sorts of jitters and crashes.  If not it's going back. 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 Dual band seperation

From what has been said on the main thread, by one of the BT device experts, its done that way to make it work with the black BT Complete Wifi disks.

So unless you are using that system, there is no advantage in using that new hub, and you may as well revert to using the original smart hub, where you can rename the SSIDs.

Of course, you always have the option of using your own router, which you have full control over, but that would not work with the black disks, which I assume you are using.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

Whilst I agree that for the black discs to work the SSIDs need to be the same, I don't understand why the option to split the band's isn't a user option for those that don't have the black discs. However, I very much doubt that BT will see the sense of that and provide the capability.

NigelM
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Thanks for the replies. 

I find it a bit daft that BT haven't done their research properly.  I've got a google home which has attached itself to the 5ghz band and a Sonos system which only works on 2.4Ghz. The google home can't communicate with the Sonos when on different bands.  With or without a dish, this Smart Hub 2 system isn't up to the job it's needed for if I can't control the SSID names.  It's a big no from me.

0 Ratings