cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT Smart Hub 2 problems

Go to solution

Recently liquid was split over my smart hub so I purchased a smart hub 2, it was cheap and an upgrade and much less than what I anticipated BT would charge me for a replacement hub.

The new hub arrived and within a few minutes was showing blue lights, I factory reset it to ensure I was starting afresh.

Once the blue lights were steady I connected my Android phone and everything appeared fine.

I then tried to connect my PC via ethernet and that's when the troubles started.

My PC recognises no networks as being available, I am unable to connect with the hub manager and my PC freezes, occasionally unfreezing giving me enough time to run diagnostics. It never gets much further than that as it freezes and requires a reboot to get past it.

Other than the factory reset option I'm not aware of any other at the router resets etc The guy I bought it from is adamant it worked fine and that it is no more than 7 months  old, he has offered to refund but I'd rather resolve the issue first if possible.

Other than a faulty router are there any other things I can try before giving up?

Thanks in advance.

Tony

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 problems

Go to solution

Did you turn off smart setup in hub manager

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution
The short answer is no I didn't, I'll see if I can access it via my phone and give it a try.

Thanks for speedy response.

Tony
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Managed to access hub manager via a laptop and turned off  but it made no difference, CPU is showing 100%  use hence why everything is slow.

It would appear to be a default gateway issue in Win 10, tried several solutions to date but getting nowhere fast to be honest.

Looks like router is OK and it's Win 10 at fault.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Did you spill any liquid into the PC? 

What does the Ethernet performance look like in Task Manager?

If you disconnect the ethernet cable from the PC, does the CPU utilisation drop?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

The liquid was spilt on the router, I'm using my neighbours at the moment as they don't live there and didn't fancy getting a bill for a replacement so bought one secondhand.

I've narrowed it down to "default gateway not available" so it's a Win 10 issue I think.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

That should be easy to prove. If you need to, restart your PC in safe mode (to reduce the CPU utilisation)  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-10-92c27cff-db89-8...  and then reset your network adapters using the IPconfig command as follows

Press Win+R

Type cmd [Enter]

Type ipconfig /release [Enter}

Type ipconfig /renew [Enter]

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

I'd like to thank all who have offered suggestions, it must be the router as every solution I have tried, and I have tried all suggested here plus a few more, it ends up with the CPU at 100% used and a frozen PC.

For example I tried a network reset using borrowed router and within seconds of the restart router recognised, Network Adapter reinstalled and connected.

Following exactly the same steps but changing routers between shut down and restart, CPU at 100% and never moved forward from that point.

I have access now so it's not critical, neighbour not returning until August at earliest, so I'll try to source another router or simply bite the bullet and talk to BT...

0 Ratings