cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smc78
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

BT Smart Hub Channel Query

We have  a BT Smart Hub. Am I right in thinking that it automatically switches channel if one gets too busy?

I do have reason for wanting confirmation of this.

Have a laptop, 4 months old, which suddenly started to have issues with Wifi, connection kept dropping and often won't reconnect for ages. As so new it was repaired by manufacturer, they replaced WLAN card. Problem is issue continues. 

I spoke with manufacturer today who said to ensure Bluetooth is off, which it is, and if issue still happens to switch channel of router. So you can see why I want it confirmed that Smart Hub does this automatically. This laptop is only item that uses the Wifi here which has a issue, all the rest stay connected with no issues so am pretty sure it is the laptop that is the problem not our Smart Hub or connection.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Smart Hub Channel Query

The homehub selects the clearest channel from interference from other routers, it doesn't change channels 'if one gets too busy' (whatever that means). If you want to lock it to one channel disable smart wireless.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
smc78
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

@licquoricewrote:

The homehub selects the clearest channel from interference from other routers, it doesn't change channels 'if one gets too busy' (whatever that means). If you want to lock it to one channel disable smart wireless.

Sorry I didn't explain the first bit very clearly, clearest channel is a better phrase, that is what I meant!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

If you download and install a programme called InSSIDer on your laptop you will be able to see which channels are congested and manually select the best one on the hub. In theory the hub automatically selects the best channel but in practice that doesn't always happen. In any case, it is only the best channel at the location of the hub, at the location of your laptop there may be an interfering signal from another hub on the same channel if that makes sense.

smc78
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

@licquoricewrote:

If you download and install a programme called InSSIDer on your laptop you will be able to see which channels are congested and manually select the best one on the hub. In theory the hub automatically selects the best channel but in practice that doesn't always happen. In any case, it is only the best channel at the location of the hub, at the location of your laptop there may be an interfering signal from another hub on the same channel if that makes sense.

Thanks, will give it a try!!!

0 Ratings
smc78
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

@licquoricewrote:

Just checked on InSSIDer and looks like most around me are on 1 or 6 and I am on 11 and 36.

0 Ratings