Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andygillen
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BT Smart Hub to BT Mini Hub connection hand off

Go to solution

Hi,

This is my first post on here so hopefully it is in the right section.

I have a new BT Smart Hub serving the majority of my house as well as a BT Mini Hub which covers the far end of the house that the Smart Hub can't reach. I use the WiFi Calling feature on my mobile phone to connect into the mobile network as I have very little mobile signal. If I take a call while connected to one of the hubs and then walk (or 'roam') towards the other hub then the call is dropped as (presumably) the connection is not handed over correctly. I have given both hubs the same SSID the so it looks like a single WiFi connection but it is obviously dropping the connection when going from the Mini Hub to the Smart Hub or vice versa.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Andy

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Smart Hub to BT Mini Hub connection hand off

Go to solution

Wifi connections when changing from one device are never seamless unless you have a sophisticated high end system that support seamless roaming. Domestic routers and wireless access points don't generally support it. It makes no difference if they have the same SSID.

0 Ratings
andygillen
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you for the quick response licquorice.

Would it be better to use a WiFi extender rather than the Mini Hub? e.g. the BT 11ac Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 1200 ?

I am not sure if this simplifies matters by keeping a single connection into the Smart Hub and just extends the wifi signal range?

Many Thanks

Andy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

@andygillen wrote:

Thank you for the quick response licquorice.

Would it be better to use a WiFi extender rather than the Mini Hub? e.g. the BT 11ac Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 1200 ?

I am not sure if this simplifies matters by keeping a single connection into the Smart Hub and just extends the wifi signal range?

Many Thanks

Andy

No, that would be the same, but with much worse performance. WiFi extenders are a very poor choice.

0 Ratings
andygillen
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

So I now have the situation where I have wifi from my SmartHub in 90% of the house and I just want to extend the signal so that when I roam from the main part of the house to the extended area, or from the extended area to the main house, I don't drop my wifi call due to the connection not being handed over correctly. Is there no way to do this with the Smart Hub?

Many Thanks

Andy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

None at all to hand over seamlessly.

0 Ratings
andygillen
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks licquorice - not the reply I had hoped for but at least I can work around it by always keeping my mobile phone within close range of the Smart Hub (which is more than a little annoying).

Would you be able to recommend a different router / access point that would handle this for me?

Many Thanks

Andy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Sorry, haven't any experience of such devices. Have a Google for seamless wifi roaming. I know Ubiquiti have such products and I believe Linksys do also. The other problem is that your client device, i.e your phone, also has to support seamless handover as that initiates the handover as far as I'm aware.

Highlighted
andygillen
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Just tried manually setting both the BT Mini Hub and the BT Smart Hub to use the same channels (Chan 1 for 2.5G and Channel 36 for 5G) and it now seems to be handling the roaming perfectly. I can take a WiFi call on my mobile and walk back and forward from one hub to the other and no dropped calls! The sound dropped out for a second or so on one call but other than that the Smart Hub seems to be handling it perfectly. Is this just lucky? Or is the Smart Hub designed to do this. Would hate to do a firmware upgrade in the future and discover that it no longer works.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Interesting, the connection will have dropped and re-connected but maybe there is software in the phone that will hold the connection for the brief period of disconnection if both connections are on the same channel. I.e it treats it as a slight glitch in the signal and holds connection.