cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 24

BT Smart Hub v BT Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

I am a great believer in the maxim ‘if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it’. I have a BT Smart Hub and have just been sent. BT Smart Hub 2. My present hub works just fine. What are the advantages, if any, to replace with the Hub 2 ? 

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Expert
Message 2 of 24

Re: BT Smart Hub v BT Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

Hey @Harboro_Mike 

Welcome to the Community!

Did you get the Smart Hub 2 as part of Halo 2 or Complete Wi-Fi? If the latter, you will have to use it the disks only work it.

The comparison for them is here: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/51940/~/whats-the-difference-between-the-bt-hubs%3F

The Wi-Fi Specifications seem very similar, but the SH2 has more features like DECT. You can control the SH2 via the My BT app and set access control etc. The SH2 also reboots and manages it itself if it detects something wrong.

If you split the Bands on your current hub (ie different name for 5Ghz) you can’t do this on the SH2.

Thanks

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 24

Go to solution

If your present system works and you are not wanting to add BT Complete Wifi discs to your system I would leave things as they are.

Keep in mind that as from 13th December 2019 the "new" Smarthub 2 is now only loaned to you and should you leave BT you will need to either pay for it or return it to BT.

Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution

That will save me cupboard space, to be fair though There really is no point in keep BT equipment if you are no longer using BT as your provider.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution
Many thanks. I already have 3 whole home wi-fi disks and a decent signal in most of my house. Thanks for the heads up about ownership
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution
Many thanks. You have highlighted a number of points. Through trial and error I deduced the disk only works with SH2. I do split bands with separate names, so don’t want to lose that one !! Auto reboot could be problematic on occasion, so again thanks, I won’t be fixing things. Appreciated
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution

I've never found there to be a practical difference between the two bands, and 2.5 seems very stable and a good signal, You can disable 5ghz on a HH2 (which is what I've done)

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution

I've found the same. I know that 5ghz is supposed to give better speeds but the reality was that I never noticed any difference. I turned off the 5ghz network on my SH2 to make absolutely sure that all my smart home stuff worked without any issues.

I came from a home hub 5 and the difference is night and day. The SH2 has been great.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution

In theory Smart Hub 2 should be much better in terms of speed and coverage than Smart Hub 1. But in reality I see no difference at all. The worst feature of smart hub 2 is that there is no way you can separate the channels. Now what I found that all my devices are connecting to 2.4 GHz  by default and rarely they are connecting to 5GHz. and the speed I'm getting is max 40 mbps @2.4GHz  and upto 55 mbps @5GHz. The same speed I used to get in smart hub 1 but the main advantage of smart hub 1 was that  I can separate the channels to avoid devices connecting to single band 2.4GHz. I'm now considering to switch back to smart Hub1.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution

Personally very disappointed with the Hub 2 . We have had a  history of problems with BT broadband and we do not live in the sticks we are 1 mile out of town centre and people who live further away but near to us get better.  To try and get decent broadband we ended up with 2 phone lines and 2 sets of broadband in a 3 bed semi. we were told that we could scrap the one line saving £800 per year and the new hub 2 and disks was the best of the best. Well it certainly is not whilst we get still 20mb on the one line and the other line 3mb at least that 3 router was at the rear of the house . Now we cannot select 5ghz if we want to and anything on 2.4ghz spike pings and drops out every 5 to 10 mins. No line noise all tests show 20mb download and 9mb upload but the  wifi is terrible. trying to find my old powerline adapters but may go back to the old router at the front as we could at leas t select 5ghz and rename it. WHY WON@T BT ALLOW TO RENAME SSID

0 Ratings