cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Nefeco
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

BT SmartHub ("Hub6"): IPv6-connected devices do not report names correctly.

Hi,

I just got a BT SmartHub and notice that when I connect a laptop to it via wi-fi the hub reports it as being connected via IPv4 with an xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address and gets its name right.

When I plug in the same laptop via an Ethernet cable it seems to connect via IPv6 connection and the hub ("Home Network" map) doesn't show its name in the same way as when it's connected via wi-fi - which makes it difficult to find.

Any ideas as to why or a setting to change to correct this? Thanks.

--N.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT SmartHub ("Hub6"): IPv6-connected devices do not report names correctly.

Devices will connect via IPv4 and IPv6, not one or the other.

Why do you need to 'find' the device in the network map? Just curious.

0 Ratings
Nefeco
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Hi,

I want to be able to see all of the devices connected to my network (including any I don't expect to be!)

The network map is perfect for this and worked fine on BT's Hub5 - everything got reported properly with the associated device names. Since switching to Hub6 it all reports ok for devices connected via wi-fi, but not for devices connected wired. The specific device I'm following (a laptop) reports as being connected via IPv4 when connected via wi-fi (i.e. has an xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx address) and as IPv4 & IPv6 when wired (i.e. has both types of addressing visible via ipconfig).

It's mostly annoying because it all worked perfectly with Hub5 - so I got used to it working - and now with Hub6 the names of thing are missing sometimes...

Thanks,

--N.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Why not just go back to using the HH5, as the HH6 does not offer any advantage, and introduces a major disadvantage on the wireless side?

0 Ratings
Nefeco
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

The HH5 was running hot and getting flakey so it was BT's idea to replace it and they replace HH5 with HH6 ("SmartHub") nowadays.

Also, I'm interested to get to the bottom of it - as in have BT INcorrectly implemented IPv6 or does IPv6 itself have a probelm or is there a configuration/setup item/option that can be changed that makes it work "properly"...

--N.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Not sure why you keep mentioning connecting via IPv6, unless you have disabled IPv4 on the laptop it will have IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity.

0 Ratings
Nefeco
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

I realise that. It's only when ipconfig shows the device has IPv6 characteristics 'on' that the problem occurs.

0 Ratings