cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

BT Smarthub 2 and Whole Home Wifi

If I have a BT Smarthub 2, which I assume is the master node of a mesh, can I just connect one or more single Whole Home Additional Wifi Disc to it without having to have an additional master disc plugged into the router? 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Smarthub 2 and Whole Home Wifi

Welcome to this user forum.

Its only the master node for the black complete wifi system discs, and not for the white Whole Home discs.

complete wifi disk.jpg

Complete Wifi

whole home disk.jpg

Whole Home Wifi.

Which system are you referring to, as they are not compatible?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

I was hoping to use the white ones with the Smarthub 2, and without having a master disc connected to the router. 

So, if I want white discs around the house then I must use the master disc plugged into the router and disable wifi on the Smarthub? Not so smart.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

@colinturner61 wrote:

I was hoping to use the white ones with the Smarthub 2, and without having a master disc connected to the router. 

So, if I want white discs around the house then I must use the master disc plugged into the router and disable wifi on the Smarthub? Not so smart.

That would be correct, although I believe that they can use wifi for backhaul, but its not advised. It would not make sense.

Why did you opt for the Smart Hub 2, if you do not intend to add the black disks, as there is no advantage otherwise, and there is also a major disadvantage?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

I have an old version router, with some cosmetic damage. I would be happy to add the black ones if a) they were available to buy and b) they were white.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

@colinturner61 wrote:

I have an old version router, with some cosmetic damage. I would be happy to add the black ones if a) they were available to buy and b) they were white.

One of the device experts said they will be available to buy at £100 each Smiley LOL

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Introducing-Complete-Wi-Fi-from-BT/m-p/1915333#...

But they will be black.

I assume its the smart hub 2 you have, like this, with the phone socket at the back?

smart hub 2 vdsl.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 10

Thanks for your feedback Keith.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

@colinturner61 wrote:

Thanks for your feedback Keith.

Its all taken from existing forum threads, and posts by the BT Device experts. I have a comprehensive  local database of all posts which I can run keyword searches on.

0 Ratings
rickspark
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

A good many people will want to do this because they already owned Whole Home WiFi discs from a time before BT Smarthub 2 was released.  I have 4 and this facility would have been useful.

0 Ratings
Topchat
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

We received a Smart Hub 2 when BT upgraded our connection to G:FAST at the cabinet. A ‘free’ offer of the guaranteed 100mbps service they now promote. Used Ethernet to connect existing White Discs and then split Wi-fi - for streaming video direct to Smart Hub 2 and everything else via the white Whole Home disks. Not ideal but it works.

The engineer who connected us to G:FAST thought that BT would update firmware so that Black and White could be unified but that was engineering gossip rather than founded in fact. 

0 Ratings