Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michaeldjcox
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BT Smarthub

Go to solution

Yesterday I udpated from BT Broadband (ADSL) to BT Infinity.

Consequently I disconnected my billion ADSL router and plugged everything into the smart hub.

Since then I've been having issues streaming some movies and to be absolute clear this is:

> NOT over WiFi
> NOT over the internet

But local wired connections.

I have a NAS where I store mp4 movies connected to the router via a netgear gigabit ethernet switch.

I have a set top box to which I stream those movies which is connected direct to the smart hub. The box only supports 100Mb/s ethernet (which was never a problem for the set top box before)

Its not all movies it only seems to be ones I ripped from my blueray collection rather than from my DVD connection that stream badly.

To watch the movie I have to hit the pause button for a good long time so enough of the movie is received and buffered before watching for a bit and then having to pause again.

Before I throw the smart hub in the bin and buy a billion VDSL router (and I've had to do that for different reasons for every BT hub) is there anything that can be tweaked to stop this throttling behaviour that seems to be going on.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Smarthub

Go to solution

did you turn off smart setup in the HH6?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
michaeldjcox
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution
Yes its turned off
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Can you try connecting the Set Top Box to the Ethernet switch instead, to eliminate an issue with the Ethernet port on the home hub? See if it makes a difference, as duplex mismatch can be an issue with some devices.

0 Ratings
michaeldjcox
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Will give it a try

0 Ratings
michaeldjcox
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Yes the video plays fine through the switch.

All ethernet ports on the smartHub give me the same problem.

I cannot find any setting to tweak on the smart hub.

I could shuffle around devices on the ports to put the 100Mb/s ones on the switch but then have issues with cable reach with the two devices being in different places (ended up buying a 10m cable just to prove the smart hub was at fault)

Wondering now whether to buy another Billion router that can do VDSL/VDSL2...

...or keep the smart hub for the VDSL connection and just buy a bigger/additional switch.

The broadband connection has dropped a few times in the first few days - I 've had months without dropping a connection with my Billion ADSL router.

I think It is useful to have the BT device for when there are issues as I supect they do additional diagnostics that couldn't be done with a 3rd party device

Grateful for any thoughts

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Then the issue is most likely to be a compatibility issue between the ports on the home hub, and the set top box.

Duplex mismatch can occur if the Ethernet link pulse timing on the set top box is not interpreted correctly, and the home hub fails to auto negotiate the correct speed and duplex mode. Its more likely to be an issue with the production spread of the home hub, as they are produced very cheaply.

Its not possible on the home hub, to lock a port speed to 100Mbs.

This issue has been reported before on this forum, which is why I suggested bypassing the home hub.

The quickest and cheapest option, would be to put another switch close to the home hub, and use that instead of the ports on the home hub.

Provided that you are happy with the rest of the home hub performance, then there is probably no point in changing it at the moment.

The connection dropping  on the home hub, seems to be a reported quite a bit on this forum, but yours may settle down in a week or so.

0 Ratings
michaeldjcox
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for all your help. Bought a new switch which I had been meaning to do for sometime anyway everythings good.

BT SmartHub seems to be fairly stable though it did reset 8 hours ago.

Through all these resets my downstream speed has gone up from 65Mbit/s to 79.9Mbs/s which is really awesome. 

0 Ratings