cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 11

BT Smarthub

Go to solution

Can anybody help me? When I visit my smarthub interface at 192.168.1.254 the connection is always insecure, ie not https. Have I been hit with a SSL Strip attack? What is to stop a hacker from harvesting my wireless key and admin passwords every time I change them?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Smarthub

Go to solution

Hackers have got to get into your LAN in the first place.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

If you unplug your Smarthub from phone socket you will still be able to access it via 192.168.1.254 because you are accessing it on you own local network not via the Internet.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

thanks for the advice. That is a practical solution I can unplug it and so I won't be on the internet

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

thank you for the reply. I am studying pentesting but I don't know much about it yet. I thought that an insecure connection would mean that somebody on the outside of my PAN could sniff my passwords

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

@stuartdewhurst wrote:

thanks for the advice. That is a practical solution I can unplug it and so I won't be on the internet

No that is not what I was advising. I was trying to point out that even if you did do that you would still be able to access it. That is because you are not going through the Internet when you are accessing it, ie it is safe and secure. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

so are you saying that although the admin interface is not over a secure connection it is not possible for somebody to sniff the passwords?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

For somebody to sniff your passwords they would need to be connected to your LAN. I.e they would need the wireless password to get the wireless password!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

That is correct. All you are doing is accessing the page that is held within the Smarthub's software. It is not going via the Internet hence the reason you could access it even if you were disconnected from the Internet.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution
Thank you for your advice. That is very helpful.
0 Ratings